·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Damn that's crazy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
RSM backorder

I too am facing this problem. My 2016 ST is currently in the shop, after hitting a deer on 10/4, in which an airbag deployed.
I'm told the RCM is on back order from the manufacturer, with no eta. after reading this thread, any hope of getting it back by Friday has all but vanished. Let me know if you hear anything, I will do the same. Such a disappointment!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Sorry to hear it, j_swin. I think I was mumbling "on backorder with no ETA" in my sleep for a while, until my dealership stopped calling me with updates. They must be tired of telling me the same bad news week after week. How did you and car fare in the accident?

Do you know if the SE and ST have the same part number? I have no idea whether they manufacture a single part after it's special-ordered, or wait for a certain number of orders to accumulate, or just build a whole batch of them to keep on hand. My understanding is that most car makers don't like to keep spare parts on hand because it costs more to manage the inventory.

I called the parts desk of another dealership a while back, to verify that the part really doesn't exist anywhere. I had read that sometimes dealerships prefer to special-order a part for warranty work, even if a neighboring dealership has one in stock, because it's harder to get reimbursed from Ford for a dealer-to-dealer transaction. The parts guy confirmed that it's on backorder nationwide, and he said that the car is so new that Ford hasn't started making replacement parts for it yet. So much for Ford honoring their warranty. With any other part, I would be calling the salvage yards. But any new car with enough damage to be a total loss was probably in a serious enough accident to deploy the airbags.

After I complained to Ford again last weekend, the regional CSM called me on Monday to say that the system says the part is on its way. It's apparently supposed to ship by the end of this week (so today, I guess?), and arrive by the middle of next week. But this isn't the first time they told me that in response to my complaints. I've mentioned that I'm considering a Lemon Law buyback, so maybe they're just stalling me with more fake 10-day promises. Or maybe it's for real this time. When did you last hear that there was no ETA -- was it before or after Monday?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I only had minor injuries to my left hand, $12,000 in damages to the car. I do not know if the se and st share the same part number. Either way, I'm sure the back orders cover all model numbers of current year model parts. I only received this news on Tuesday concerning the back ordered rcm. As you can see in the photo, my drivers side knee bag deployed. It was a pretty large deer and I hit him at an estimated 60 mph. Could have been worse. I'm curious as to how long this will go on. There have to be more people waiting on this part, there has to be something that can be done.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I just called the shop and according to them the part has been shipped and was expected today. However, they have not received it as of 3:30pm today. The shop foreman went as far as to assure me the car would be ready by next week. If that is not the case, there is a consumer affairs reporter from a local fox station that may be looking into this problem. It is unacceptable! I will most definitely keep you posted since you and I seem to be the only ones waiting on this part that I know of.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Wow, that's quite a ding your car received. Glad you're OK. Unfortunately, the impression that I get is that Ford doesn't think there is anything they can do to expedite this part. It seems like they should be able to put pressure on the parts supplier, but I have no idea what kind of relationships they have with various manufacturers, and they probably don't want to bother for the sake of one or two customers.

Early on, some friends said that Ford should just pull the part from one of the unsold cars still sitting on lots. Of course, a car dealership can't very well turn their new car lot into a junkyard. But back in July, I think Ford was still producing 2016 models, so they did have plenty of parts in stock. The problem is that they were already earmarked for the production line. Now, I do think Ford should have been able to divert one of those parts from the production line. Their priority is selling more cars, not trying to keep every existing customer happy. So where does that leave us?

I don't think Ford is really worried about bad publicity on local news. They're already having so many issues with the automatic transmissions that one or two problems like ours are really small potatoes. Is your car at a dealership or an independent shop? As satisfying as it can be to complain publicly, you wouldn't want to hurt your relationship with the shop that is trying to help you. The whole situation just sucks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks, I'm fine I just want my car back, I'm sure you can relate. The car is at an independently owed shop certified through progressive. In fact, I just got off the phone with them. They told me all of the parts are in and it's in assembly with an eta of "sometime this week". I sure do hope that is accurate! I did ask the guy specifically about the back ordered rcm, his exact words were "it came in this afternoon". Will update this post when I receive the car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I got my car back today! I also got the call about the part arriving on Monday. I think our parts must have come from the same batch.

As I suspected, the tires have flat/deformed spots from sitting for 3.5 months, which I could feel on smooth stretches of road as I drove around today. I'm hoping those will even out after a long drive. Two of them are pretty obvious even in the dark. I live close to work and shopping, so my weekday driving is barely enough to warm up the tires. I think I'll take it for a long drive this weekend to burn through some of the old gas and see if the tires snap back into shape.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Glad you got it resolved! I just picked mine up today. It sat for about 30 days, but all seems good. I couldn't imagine waiting as long as you were forced to wait.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Good to hear.
I would call the service manager and let him know about the tires just in case they don't recover. Especially if you can see the deformation. Still give it a while to see what happens, but I wouldn't wait too long to complain about them.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts