Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
rca to regular cable

can i slice the speaker wire for the line out from the stereo and use the rca and plug it back into the stereo? wil that work? I want to put the most power to my pioneer speakers... they handle 30w rms and 150w... the stereo should put out around 12-17w rms, since they say its 22-25..

thanks

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alright. you kow you need a harness to power the stock speakers, or give signal to them. well, how aobut if i put in front/rear preout slipe and connect it to the stock speaker wires. directly from the RCA out to the stock spaker wire. I mean is only +/-

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
the pre-outs are meant for amplifiers

I would not hook them up to speakers.

purchase a 150w-300watt amp (2 channel if only using front speakers) and hook up the preout's to the amp via RCA cable, then connect the speakers to the amp.

If the speakers have the ability to be amplified, by all means, use an amp to get the Most sound quality and clarity from the speakers.

·
Registered
145 Posts
You cannot hook up the rca outs directly to the speakers. They are low level and you will have hardly any volume.

Foci^^^ said it best. get an amp for more volume and clarity.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, the kenwood kdc 232 is loud and clean, but the bass still kicks in even on lowest. i do not want to get a n amp , since more strain on the battery. i will just get better speakers. i also know that aftermarket 2 way speakers seem to not pick up much of the bass.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Dude, you are way off base. Someone has fed you a bunch of BS when it comes to car audio.

1) an average amp will not strain the electrical system; especially the battery. (I have had numerous systems with 400 to 600 RMS watts, and no problems ever.)

2) bass needs power, plain and simple (head units don't have the necessary power, or the internal capacitance to maintain it)

3) 4 stock-sized 5x7 or 6x8 speakers like the Polk MMC570 driven by the HU will give you decent bass for the simple system (don't expect any more)(you may already have as much as you'll get without getting an amp)

4) don't buy anything else until you figure out exactly what you want and what you need to buy in order to achieve it. Trust me on this one. Many of us old-timers have spent numerous dollars and time trying different things to figure out what's what.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
By the way, if you're super duper cool and want a small 2ch amp for the front speakers, I may let you buy an Arc 2050CXL amp from me. (8" x 8.75" x 2.35") [:D]

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
naw, i am going all pioneer all the way... might change the stock speakers to something cheap pioneer, since anything aftermarket will be better then stock...

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
^ i don't know about that... i've heard some cars with systems with the name of durabrand that sound like straight SHIT. and a lot of those aftermarket speakers that are really cheap are just that... really cheap. i know in a lot of other markets, brand doesn't mean much, but as far as audio... name is everything. it's good you're going pioneer, it's a good brand. but make sure that whatever you buy will scale good with anything you might do in the future, that way you won't need to keep upgrading. buy good now, save money down the road.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
NO NO NO NO !!!!

If I've written this once, I've written this a gagillionbillionfazillion times!

Most widely known brand names offer low to middle-grade quality due to the need for profit and marketing. Anyone who's been around car audio for any length of time realizes the best gear is by names rarely heard of. They are small companies by people who still have high quality and a passion for great sound as the motivation. And they keep going as long as they make a profit. But that also means they have to charge more money. You get what you pay for. Some companies, like Zed Audio, sell direct; which keeps the cost down a little.

Going by brand name alone is plain ignorance....... and that's what the big name companies count on!

The internet is one of the best means of research there is. Spend time reading many forums and you'll soon discover who has the better products.

Big name brands offer decent, good, and great Head Units.
They also offer mid-grade and lower-grade amps.

Aside from the Alpine SPX and SPX F#1 lines, they suck arse when it comes to speakers. Pioneer is widely known to offer some of the worst quality speakers out there. Once upon a time, those companies built the name by making great gear, then they went corporate and the stock holders made changes to maximize profit. Same old, same old.

About the only thing Pioneer is still doing well in car audio is a few top line HUs. The P9 combo and the lesser P880 come to mind. Otherwise, I highly suggest you stay away from them.

To name a few of the best products available today......

Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood, and Clarion offer some pretty decent HUs. The Clarion DRZ9255 is in a class all its own compared to no other (literally). Pioneer and Alpine offer an external processor option for ultimate control. And Alpine finally offered a few units with optical outputs this year.

Aside from the DRZ9255, the other top HUs are: any unit based off the Denon Z1 (Zapco and Rockford 8250), the McIntosh MX406, and maybe the Nakamichi CD700II. The DRZ is the only true audiophile unit with DSP features built in. The only reason I own the $1,400 unit is because I found a heck of a deal on a used one.

Best amps:
Sinfoni
Genesis Series III
Arc Audio XXK and SE
DLS Ultimate
McIntosh
Alpine F#1 Status
Zed Audio (best bang for the buck for new price)
Butler Audio tube hybrid
Zapco Competition
Audison VRx

Best Speakers:
Seas Lotus and Excel
Scan Speak (Alpine F#1 SPX are Scan Speak)
Dynaudio
DLS Nobelium
Focal Be
Genesis (more Scan Speak)
Rainbow
more I can't think of right now

Stepping down a notch:
Oz Audio Matrix Elite tweeters and mids (best bang for the buck)
CDT Audio 07-series mids
MB Quart Q-series mids
DLS Ultimate
Polk SR6500
maybe JL Audio Z, Boston top line, etc.

Subs:
JL Audio W6 or W7
Soundsplinter
Image Dynamics
Seas Lotus
Diamond D9
and more.

The good stuff is not by well-known name brands. The exceptions are stupid expensive, like the Clarion DRZ and Alpine F#1 Status.

Ok, rant/lesson over. [;)]

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
YOU SAID IT!!! couldn't say it better myself!! i get tired of saying the exact same thing. people just don't understand most of the time.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
see the subs that you mention I do not intend of getting. They make way too much bass for my needs. I do not need to use the subs as a method of gaining more speed and hp. I had pioneer before and they were awesome in mids and highs. So loud that I had to put down the treble and mids. Also used to have a pioneer IMPP 300w RMS and 600w peak and was awesome, but was in a fully sealed box. I want clarity not show. I listen to alot of hard trance, vocal trance, some piano notes and sometime hip hop. I have budies that have kicker and JL and yes, they are good, but they are not what I am looking for. The sound out of those subs is way to much for me. ALso the frequency response is low so just deep bass and now loudness. I want a 89-93db response sub. So it will sound clear and will have wave travel. I know that going just brand is ignorant(thank you very much) but I did some reaserch and found it was ok. I also tested it at best buy, with mono sound and only from one speaker, so you do not get fooled by the stereo faking the sound as being clearer. I listen to kenwood(garbage), kicker(garbage), polk(garbage) and a few others. I know they will make clean bass, but they do not have the finese like the pioneer had. I did have blaupunkt and they were awesome too, but is hard to find them at 6x8. Hell I wanted all Blaupunkt system, but can't even find subs now...

My old setup in my mitsu mirage:

front blaupunkt 3 way speaker 6inch 40rms/120w runing off the headunit
back pioneer tsr xxxx 2 way speakers 6.5 inch 45rms/150w also off the head unit
dhd am at 1000w peak but in reality around 80rmsx4 put in 2ch at 275rms at 2ohm stable runing a single coil on my 300rms/600w pioneer impp...

sounded like hell, some used to think i had JL in the back and the clarity was as a drop a water in a sealed room. oh yeah. the box was sealed...

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Well, good luck with that.

As for the ignorance comment, it was in regard to a marketing tactic; not personal.

ig·no·rant P Pronunciation Key (gnr-nt)

* Lacking education or knowledge.
* Unaware or uninformed.
As for my list of gear, they are known best for Sound Quality and Build Quality..... at all levels of loudness.

SQ = The attempt to reproduce the original audio source.

If you are comfortable with Pioneer, then I apologize and wish you the best.
The list I made will give you some options for future systems.

Enjoy

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I see you in Sherman Oaks, I am in Northridge. I did not take offence on the ignorant part. I am not, that is why I am asking questions. The RCA question came to light based on the fact that Stereo 1 store close to me said I could do that. I found it hard to belive. So... All advice is taken. Now that I see you are close, would not mind to check out your system. I mean I have my options open, but I was empresed with what I had, and you know, we are creatures of habit, what works we stick to it...

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Sure we can meet, but I have to warn you....... hearing a good SQ system can ruin you. You may want to have the same or similar, but it can be expensive. You'll need to set your limits. [:D]

The info regarding the RCAs is the BS I mentioned. Either you misunderstood what they were saying, or they are complete morons. For their sake and business, I hope you misunderstood. [;)]

Once you get an idea of what you really want, we can help you build a good system within your budget. I can tell you now, it won't include Pioneer unless you get the new DEH-P880PRS HU for $300.

PM your phone number to me, and we'll see about meeting.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
PM sent... let me know when u got time...

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
all I know is focusincali knows his sh__ helped me even though I have a fosgate system

1 - 19 of 19 Posts