Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rattling noise coming from the engine compartment. It always happen in the morning the first drive off coming to a stop the rattling noise appear and if i move off goes to the next stop the noise goes away and will not come bk again for the day.By doing either one of these (depressing the clutch pedal, turn the steering wheel left or right or steeping the gas pedal to increase the rpm slightly)the noise will be gone. Could it be the gearbox(IB5) or the engine mount?

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
It would help to know what you are driving, how old it is, and how many miles.

Motor mount is a good candidate; however, if you have any significant time or miles on it, it is always a good idea to check the cat heat shield as a likely source of a rattle.

But, you might ask, why does it only rattle when first started? Well, many engines are rougher for the first minute or two after starting.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
A motor mount would be a constant problem. Could just be when first starting up, the oil isn't up to it's proper opperating viscosity. I know when it's cold out, my engine makes more noise at start up, then when the engine is properly warmed up, it's normal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Car is 2.5yr old and done 33k miles on it. I always warm up the engine to normal temperature range then move off. The noise will only appear when i come to a stop gear in neutral. With the aircon on the rattling noise will be louder. Sent to the workshop got the clutch change and some tightening on the engine mount noise gone, but after a week the problem recur.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts