Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[mad] i have a major rattle when the ac is turned on it is so annoying because it is so loud, sounds like the car is falling apart. had it at the ford garage twice for the rattle while under warranty for them to hear it, technician and the service manager said it was normal for it to sound like that. bull, i don't know of too many vehicles that sound like a train is coming when the ac is on. any suggestions?[mad]

·
Registered
289 Posts
have you searched any other threads on here b/c iirc there are a few other ppl that sounds like you are havin the same problem they are. mine does it and i took it to a shop and they told me that i need almost a whole new a/c system for ONLY $1900.but i was talkin to a buddy of mine and he said to just take it somewhere and tell them it needs recharged but dont tell them anyhting about it makin any nosies just say it doesnt get cold like it use to so when i get a lil money thats what im goin to do.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had/have the same problem. I actually just had my car at the Ford dealer and they let me know it is a common problem. I actually had a torn motor mount which was replaced under warranty but the rattle was still there. The dealer said it is the Idler Pulley. The pulley get warped? from the Motor mount being broken. My warranty wont cover it but its only like 12 bucks on RockAuto.com. Ive been putting off doing it but it should solve the rattle. I don't know about the other engines, this was on my 2.3 Duratec so... IDK just a suggestion.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
yeah you know what? I was just thinking of this same problem I have..... when off, it doesn't rattle, when on 1 setting, barely, and just a little bit, then on 2 it rattles noticeably, kind of a squeaky rattling, if ya know what I mean? any settings above, I'm not sure if it's rattling or not, because the air is too loud lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am having this same problem. Someone please help. Have already replaced spark plugs, wires, fuel filter and passenger side motor mount. Problem still there. Was originally only when the a/c is on but now it seems to be doing it any time the fan (interior) is on. It is worse with the A/C on though. Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
First off, you need to determine exactly where the sound is coming from. To do this, use a stick or a long screwdriver as a listening probe. Very simple, put the probe on the engine, cup the other end of it with your hand, and put your ear in your hand so you can hear the sounds transmitted by the probe. Move it around until the sound gets louder. Just don't put it somewhere near the belt so that it gets caught up and causes some damage to you or the car.

There are too many causes of a rattling sound for someone, especially online, to just point out the problem without testing. It could be a motor mount, it could be something inside the engine, it could be bearings in an idler pulley, it could be the AC clutch or compressor shaft- who can be sure? All of those that posted the "same" problem could very well have completely different problems which all make sounds that are defined as as a rattle.

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
Besides, except the ZTS guys, you all have completely different engines, so the cause of the problems could very well be different. The only part that I know all these engines share is the lower dogbone mount- I can't remember if the other motor mounts are similar.

I'm not saying that's the problem, I'm just saying that you should test to find your specific problem for sure.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
i'm having the same problem... So basically this doesn't have a solution yet?

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Well glad another thread wasn't made. Basically from what I just re read, we're gonna have to do a little detective work in order to really get any further help. The problems on here are too broad.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Well, in my case, I turn the a/c on and it rattles a lot and makes my car sound like what I imagine a model T would have sounded like, then I turn the a/c off (read: turn the knob to zero, not press the a/c button) and the sound goes away.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Hell mine doesn't do that, I turn the knob and it has a little annoying squeak. LOL.

Well as mentioned though.... Find the source of the rattling.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts