Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed this today. Whenever the road isn't flat I hear this obnoxious rattling sound coming that I'm almost positive is coming from the B-pillar. Also when the base is even remotely loud I also hear this noise. The only reason I noticed it is because its right next to my head. Its obnoxious. Has anyone else had this issue? If theres no easy fix I'm going to take it in. Any other place it wouldnt bother me but right next to my ear is nerve racking.

·
Registered
25 Posts
rattles? oh yeah...

Yes!

Not only from the pillar, but from the center stack, the headliner in various spots (depends on the day), the hand brake, the other pillars, etc.

I like the car, but it's a rattle trap. The marketing of the interior as "upscale" is a farce.

My moon roof leaks, my rear window never worked, my rear wiper/washer never worked, and the transmission has a mind of its own - it often shifts like a 16 year-old driver's-ed student.

Additionally, it's dropped nearly a quart of oil in its 1st 6000 miles, with no visible leak, but some curious residue around the head gasket area.

But it looks cool, is fun to drive, and I'm getting 31mpg combined.

If I bring up all the issues at the 1st oil change, I might not see it again for a month.

Sorry to not offer anything other than 'consider yourself lucky', compared to my issues!

-J

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Yes!

Not only from the pillar, but from the center stack, the headliner in various spots (depends on the day), the hand brake, the other pillars, etc.

I like the car, but it's a rattle trap. The marketing of the interior as "upscale" is a farce.

My moon roof leaks, my rear window never worked, my rear wiper/washer never worked, and the transmission has a mind of its own - it often shifts like a 16 year-old driver's-ed student.

Additionally, it's dropped nearly a quart of oil in its 1st 6000 miles, with no visible leak, but some curious residue around the head gasket area.

But it looks cool, is fun to drive, and I'm getting 31mpg combined.

If I bring up all the issues at the 1st oil change, I might not see it again for a month.

Sorry to not offer anything other than 'consider yourself lucky', compared to my issues!

-J
I too have had rattles, but I associate the oil consumption with the type of engine. It's a very similar engine to the 2.3 DISI in my previous Mazdaspeed 3 and that thing chugged oil big time. I'd usually get about 4-4.5qts drained after 3,000mi. , and it takes 6. Considering this engine is very similar, but not turbocharged, I believe it may just be inherent in the design. 1 qt. over 6k miles isn't so bad... I'd just recommend getting the normal 5k interval oil change and you'll be golden.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Mine does this too! and esp during the cooler mornings we have had lately. Super annoying!

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I dont know what a B pillar is but the button that raises/lowers the seat belt rattles at different times,..
A pillar = where the front windshield meets the front door, B pillar = where the front and rear doors meet, C pillar = where the rear door(in our case our small third window) meets the rear windshield. Bigger cars like vans/SUVs even have a D pillar, as for them the C pillar is where the rear door meets the 3rd large window, and the D pillar is where that meets the rear.

just wiki'd it and this is the picture that comes up, how fitting!

·
Registered
712 Posts
I had a rattle that I would have sworn was in the B pillar and was driving me nuts..mainly at highway speeds. A dealer tech went for a test drive with me (he sat in the back seat) and he determined it was coming from the lower rear door near the speaker. Turned out there was a loose nut inside the door which they removed. Totally resolved my problem.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just noticed this today. Whenever the road isn't flat I hear this obnoxious rattling sound coming that I'm almost positive is coming from the B-pillar. Also when the base is even remotely loud I also hear this noise. The only reason I noticed it is because its right next to my head. Its obnoxious. Has anyone else had this issue? If theres no easy fix I'm going to take it in. Any other place it wouldnt bother me but right next to my ear is nerve racking.

I have a rattle coming from multiple pillars. I reduced some of them by using some clear silicon grease to lubricate the points where the exterior pillars meet the rubber seal around them, but one of the pillars is rattling from deep inside where I can't access it.

Anyone know how to remove the exterior black pillars so I can lubricate it inside?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts