Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've purchased a new 2013 SE/L last 2014 July. Bought it off the showroom floor. I'm getting a rattling at idle in neutral. I'm thinking a throw out bearing problem, but with 5700 miles? The SE is a 5 speed and has not been hammered,drivin' daily with respect . I've got an additional 4 yr. extended FMC warranty. My question for better minds , should I get my dealership to fix this annoying problem and live without the car for three-4 days or put up with the noise? Or another question will FMC pull a tranny just for a throw out bearing problem? Also feeling a rumble/ vibration through the clutch pedal when turning up hill left. Too new to let this condition prevail. Thanks fellow Focus Owners.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I've heard of this happening on so many of fords manual transmissions. My 2003 se with the ib5 tranny does it, the mtx-75, the svt getrag, and more. Most people seem to think that its the throw out bearing rattling in it place due to sloppy tolerances. Mines been doing it since I bought it at 68k miles (now has 78k)

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
( might change your details not to show a 6spd.)

I've seen this noise mentioned in the MkIII sections, and blamed on tranny rattle in neutral. Haven't seen it mentioned often on older ones with the same tranny, wonder if it relates to different harmonics from the different engine/trans combination. With a lot of warranty monitoring it to see how "normal" it is should be OK.

Uphill left hand turn is a pretty high load if at low rpm, a bit of "growl" that could be transmitted through the pedal wouldn't be unusual if that is the circumstance. You'd normally not have a foot on the pedal during that type turn & wouldn't notice the vibes through it.

Not there to hear/feel it of course, and you would have to confirm my guess on the second scenario.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Ok.... identify how the noise happens.

1) In N, foot off clutch
2) In N, foot on clutch

If you can press down on the clutch, and the sound goes away, then it's the throw-out bearing, and yes that is due to how it is manufactured- and will not hurt anything.

The throwout bearing sits on the input shaft of the transmission between the pressure plate and the slave cylinder. In Fords, the metal throwout bearing is glued to the plastic slave cylinder to prevent this noise. The glue doesn't last forever. It is probably intentional so that someone can replace the throwout bearing without replacing the slave cylinder. I don't recommend that. I recommend replacing the slave with every clutch. It might keep that noise from happening for a while. It's just an annoying noise anyway. Mines had it for over 150k miles now- same clutch.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So everyone has this same problem but it's OK letting FMC continue making China Parts that fail on a monumental scale? It's no wonder that these problems exist. Ford will just keep putting Junk parts into their builds and the 45 yr. customers take it in the pants. My 021 X started the noise after it went out of warranty. I listened to that music for 184,000 miles. Ford knows this is happening....so why don't they acknowledge the fact and buy quality made parts from Japan or better yet Germany?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Well, you haven't commented if you tried to narrow down the noise between possible throwout rattle Whynot mentioned or gear rattle in neutral Joeywhat mentioned.

Slave/throwout is prob. still the same Luk part they've been using on the MTX-75 - Duratec combo. for years now, and that's a German part. SVT's were the only one previously that had a LOT of comments on that, Getrag trans. & German clutch pieces there as well.

If it's not noticeable except when pulled up next to a wall that reflects the noise through an open window I don't see the "monumental fail" here.

What's an "021 X" BTW?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your comments are noted Sailor. And for argument let's just say FMC knows about these rattles along brick walls with open windows. But my windows have been up for 30 days and I still here the clattering. Call it rattling, clattering, or call it nothing at all. But there is a problem here, and Ford has not fixed it in 15 yrs. For many, it's not catastrophic having these noise problems. But less than 6000 miles on a new unit, it is unacceptable. Maybe something different next time.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
Your comments are noted Sailor. And for argument let's just say FMC knows about these rattles along brick walls with open windows. But my windows have been up for 30 days and I still here the clattering. Call it rattling, clattering, or call it nothing at all. But there is a problem here, and Ford has not fixed it in 15 yrs. For many, it's not catastrophic having these noise problems. But less than 6000 miles on a new unit, it is unacceptable. Maybe something different next time.
If it's gear rattle then it's normal and most manual gearboxes do it to some degree.

There isn't a "fix", short of making the gearbox cost an absurd amount of money in order to make the gears quieter.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Well that's going a little far... A little noise isn't going to make me freak out. If you want perfection you should probably buy a high end BMW, not a ford focus

·
Registered
637 Posts
If it's gear rattle then it's normal and most manual gearboxes do it to some degree.

There isn't a "fix", short of making the gearbox cost an absurd amount of money in order to make the gears quieter.

You have any idea why the ib5 does this? Same reason? Or could it be a different being?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Horseshit gear box problems. It's a throw out problem. I've owned several of these Focus's and the tob is noisiy when the pedal is depressed. And your comments about me buying a BMW?lol. That is what you would look good in. I myself have been in a Ford since 1949. I'll stay with them and enjoy the clatter.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Horseshit gear box problems. It's a throw out problem. I've owned several of these Focus's and the tob is noisiy when the pedal is depressed. And your comments about me buying a BMW?lol. That is what you would look good in. I myself have been in a Ford since 1949. I'll stay with them and enjoy the clatter.

Now your confusing me. You were just bashing ford and now your defending them. Did I miss something?

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
If you (apparently) knew from the beginning exactly what the problem is, why did you bother asking?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
IDK - loosing track here even after reviewing all the posts.

Title put it at a Mickey D's drive through, with the comment of a rattle in neutral. Now it's making too much noise any time the pedal is depressed windows closed.

If it's the second case, go get it fixed.

Haven't had any of these noises with mine to date loud enough to notice.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry Joey..I was trying to feel out this forum to see if others had problems with their clutch packages. Also if the FMC would be reluctant to go inside the tranny to fix the problem.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Sometimes it doesn't happen. Sometimes the throwout bearing doesn't rattle between the slave and the pressure plate. It sounds like your noise is more than that though, but I don't see where you ever said that you tested it and found it was that problem.

BTW.... you're not tricking anyone into releasing information that they know about a "problem", but you are upsetting people who were legitimately trying to help you.

Since the car is under warranty..... did you try the dealer? Personally, I agree that I wish LUK would use a better glue, but I doubt we'll get the Germans to use metal. The plastic one- in spite of what we might think just on the basis of materials- is probably better. Mine has operated for 170k miles. Older designs would've lost an O-ring by now.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I've purchased a new 2013 SE/L last 2014 July. Bought it off the showroom floor. I'm getting a rattling at idle in neutral. I'm thinking a throw out bearing problem, but with 5700 miles? The SE is a 5 speed and has not been hammered,drivin' daily with respect . I've got an additional 4 yr. extended FMC warranty. My question for better minds , should I get my dealership to fix this annoying problem and live without the car for three-4 days or put up with the noise? Or another question will FMC pull a tranny just for a throw out bearing problem? Also feeling a rumble/ vibration through the clutch pedal when turning up hill left. Too new to let this condition prevail. Thanks fellow Focus Owners.
Hi coldbear,

I'm so happy to see in your other posts that you're such a Ford Fan! Have you been to your dealer for a diagnosis? They'll be able to see if this is under normal operating specs or something else. Let me know what you decide. :)

Meagan

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Done!

I've decided to forget the problem altogether. I lived with the 2001 ZTS 185,000 miles, 2007,156,000 miles and the 2010 131,000. I lived with the noise, never made me want to take it to a dealer for observation. All I asked was with the mysterious sounds that all my clutches made in the past, could the FMC please address this [can't call it a problem unless verified through a dealer] glitch? I'll drive the wheels off this 13 and forget it's actually happening. No further conversation about it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts