Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my SVT about a week ago now. Tonight i took it in to the dealer i purchased it from to have all the problems i found w/ it corrected (Used car thing they do at this dealer).. So they are fixing my sticking driver heated seat button, Doing the YRFO for my surging problem, Foglamp switch doesnt work. BBUUTT There is another problem i wanted them to look at. A rattle sound..... Like a heat shield... Maybe a broken catalyst w/ all the little pieces floating around inside.... Can hear it on start up... Slight hear it just sitting in idle(sometime).. When sitting in neutral rev the engine to like 1500 and let off it gets really prominent.... Goes away when clutch pedal is depressed... Car has 10500 mile on it.... Had a clutch put in at 10200.. What should i do? I read some old posts and they refered to something about the flywheel?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well its been a pretty common problem for the heatshield on the cat under the car to rust and fall off. It will rattle like hell before it finally gives. Mine, and many other SVT owners have had this problem. You can tell just by looking under the car if this is the issue. Start your car, let it idle (if the sound occurs then) and look under the car---a bit past where the header comes out underneath. You should see a heat shield. see if you can see it vibrate when you hear the noise. Thats exactly what mine was. Eventually it just rusted and fell all the way off---took it to ford and had em fix it. Just waiting to see when it happens again!

·
Registered
33 Posts
i have the same problem with mine and i have had my clutch replaced. i also experienced it shortly after having the clutch replaced. it is possibble that it is your throw out bearing. fords are notorious for this. the only thing to do is to have it greased real well or to have the bearing replaced.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If the sound goes away when you push the clutch in, its most likely the flywheel. My car had just under 3000mi.when it made a noise like that. I thought it was a T.O.bearing too. Dealer tore it down,and found the flywheel COMING APART!. They replaced EVERYTHING under warranty. Flywheel,t.o. bearing,clutch,slave cyl.etc.. I'd have the dealer check that, since your still under the 12000mi. mark for warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, guys, I'm a newbee. This problem sounds like the common "neutral gear rollover" issue that Foci have had since they came out. I know because I have the same problem with my focus. What is going on, is that the gears in the trans ride on needle bearings. when there is no load on the gears, the gears will rattle against each other in the transmission. This is why when you press the clutch, the noise goes away. The good news is that this does not effect the performance or life of your trans. The bad news is there really is no cure for the noise. You can test to see if you have this problem, by nuging the shifter in one of the gear with your foot off the clutch while the car is stopped and idling. You should hear the rattle change. I also notice, besides the rattle being irrattic, sometimes nuging it in a gear will make the noise come or go. When I mean nuging, I mean putting the shifter in a gate, but not going all the way into the gear. Obviously, putting the trans in gear without pushing the clutch is stupid and can ruin your trans. I know this is not much help, but at least it is an explination. Take care

1 - 7 of 7 Posts