Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my car for almost two weeks now, love it but it has a few minor things wrong (crappy intake, leaks water when a/c is on in floorboard, and this). I've noticed at when I start it up, there is a rattle. Happens every time, lasts for maybe a second after the engine cranked up all the way, then goes aWay and doesn't happen again until I start it up again. It sounds kind of metallic. I couldn't pinpoint where it comes from, but sounds like it is coming from the drivers side of the engine. Any ideas?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Could this be clutch chatter? Just realized the tranny is on the drivers side on this car. The clutch was replaced about 2000 miles ago by the previous, documentation to prove it. I know it was replaced right when he got it, then it went out again due to Manufacurers defects and was replaced again. Just thought I'd share that info as well. Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Check all your motor mounts. It may not be them but there is a slim chance. How are all the fluids int he car? like the oil and what not.

·
SVT Fanatic
2,615 Posts
That could be anything. There's a million possibilities.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All fluids are good. Going to do a full fluid change hopefully next weekend though including oil and transmission (side note, what's the best transmission fluid for our cars?). It doesn't sound like a motor mount but I'll check. Thanks guys!

Anyone else got any ideas?

·
Registered
128 Posts
check the cat bracket they are known to break and cause rattles.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. Wil do.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Sounds like a grinding slash wierd rattle mines doing it to I think it might be the dsi motor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I believe what you are describing is the throw-out bearing noise. Mine does it when I first start it as well. It is known to do that, but no worries. It can still work tens of thousands of miles without any problems other than the noise. Just gotta live with it :(

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome...I love it when a part with <2500 miles makes noise it's not supposed to LOL.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've had my car for almost two weeks now, love it but it has a few minor things wrong (crappy intake, leaks water when a/c is on in floorboard, and this). I've noticed at when I start it up, there is a rattle. Happens every time, lasts for maybe a second after the engine cranked up all the way, then goes aWay and doesn't happen again until I start it up again. It sounds kind of metallic. I couldn't pinpoint where it comes from, but sounds like it is coming from the drivers side of the engine. Any ideas?
lol ready for the answer? It's your catalytic converter heat shield. guarantee it has melted through its bolt holes and is just rattling around. Used to annoy me too until I figured it out. Had my welder tack weld it in a couple of places to keep it still [thankyou]

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Even if it only does it on start up? I'll have it on a lift next weekend, so I'll check for sure. Maybe I'll just get an ORP =)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hope so. A lot better and easier to fix than the TOB

·
Registered
79 Posts
Even if it only does it on start up? I'll have it on a lift next weekend, so I'll check for sure. Maybe I'll just get an ORP =)
Yes. Because after a min. or so it heats up a lot and for some reason doesn't rattle anymore. I also only heard it on start up. It is the cat. heat shield though, not the header heat shield. I had my welder tack weld the bottom half to the top half of the heat shield so it wouldnt move anymore. Ill get you some pics. Even better I made you a video lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTpb6gHZMzo

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the help! I'll be checking it out more in depth this weekend and be sure to report back

·
Registered
54 Posts
Did this work out for you? I have the same rattle and unfortunately I don't have a welder.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No, it wasn't the heat shield. I'm still leaning towards the throw out bearing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts