Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any Ideas on what this could be? 2002 Focus SPI.

Driving to work this morning it was fine. Heading home from work I turned the fan with the heat on like it always is to 3 and 4, and I got this rattle/clanking/hitting noise.

The car was in park just idling, can't hear it when fan speed is on one, after that it gets louder and louder. Like something is hitting against the fan motor or something like that?

Air blows out just fine at all speeds, it still gets very hot, there is no raise in idle though it seems the engine is running harder maybe. I don't ever turn the fan on more than 2 anyway, it usually stays on 0 or 1.

Ideas to where I can start poking?

·
Super Moderator
9,559 Posts
Moved to "General Technical Chat". Jeff, it sounds like it might be the blower motor has something stuck in it. You will need to gain access to it behind the glovebox. Here is a thread from the past that might be helpful to you. >>Click here<<

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well once I got home I checked again couple hours later and it didn't make a noise. Not even a little bit. Who knows, it was super cold out though.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Ice fell in - melted....

Who knows, as likely as anything.

( I still actually believe Don had the best guess)

·
Registered
739 Posts
Could just be the typical blower motor noise. Both of our 09's and my sister's 05 blower motors all make rattling noises when it's really cold out. Once it warms up it's fine. Just one of those Focus things. lol

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think it was just the freezing temps. The oil or lubrication substance probably got a little chilled. Didn't hear it today, could have been ice.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Do you have a cabin filter in your vehicle? I was surprised that my 2001 did not have a filter, just an open plastic mesh with large holes. Something could have fallen in like ice and rattled round.

I replaced the plastic with a new filter, now I have sweet smelling air circulation. Arm and Hammer you know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts