Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Not sure if this is common or not. But around 2500 rpm, I have a loud rattling sound coming from the dash right around or behind the stereo. I have sync without MFT.

not sure what it is but its really annoying and occurs only between 2200-2700 rpm no matter what speed im going. Since i am cruising around that on the highway, its REALLY annoying and been having this issue since I bought the car.

Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I had a similar issue with my instrument cluster (left side). When I took it into service, this is what the report said (relevant portions):

"Inspected and reposition instrument cluster, installed column trim."

Not sure if that's a similar issue with your location, but they can definitely get rid of it (it's been about a couple months since I had it done and I only heard a slight rattle once after that). I think something must've just not been properly tied down.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a similar issue with my instrument cluster (left side). When I took it into service, this is what the report said (relevant portions):

"Inspected and reposition instrument cluster, installed column trim."

Not sure if that's a similar issue with your location, but they can definitely get rid of it (it's been about a couple months since I had it done and I only heard a slight rattle once after that). I think something must've just not been properly tied down.
I had the issue in that spot too but when i found what it was i pushed on it, I heard a pop and now no more sound from the steering column.

I tried the same thing on everything on the dash and its still there. I think its under something somewhere. Might just take it in on monday.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
In my 2012 SE I also got a rattle from the space where the center dash speaker would have been installed. Before I was able to take it in, it vanished. Then while I was waiting to trade in my SE for the 2014 ST I ordered, it came back.
They did not care. I got the promised trade in value for my SE.

·
Registered
472 Posts
So i pressed on the area in the pic, and i heard a light snap and it didnt do it anymore. weird

either I havent paid attention or there are not a lot of people on here from MD.
There are a couple others I saw. Kind of funny is I see you have Perry Hall/Columbia in your profile. I am from Perry Hall too. Lived up there half my life. Class of 89 at Perry Hall High.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are a couple others I saw. Kind of funny is I see you have Perry Hall/Columbia in your profile. I am from Perry Hall too. Lived up there half my life. Class of 89 at Perry Hall High.
Lol. I'm Perry Hall High Class of 09. And I work in Columbia right around Dobbin road. small world

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Go ahead and post it. More info is good.
You are absoluty right. However, I am leaving for 5 days today and I only have 2 pictures. I did that when it was 0°C... now it's -10°C so I don't want to break the plastic. I have to redo the job anyway because the foam used was to thin. I'll post stuff I have and when I can do it again with thicker foam, I'll write a HOW-TO.

Tools Required:
- Your hand
- Torx Screwdriver (T20 or T25, don't remember)
- 4" with MFT or 2" non-MFT - Foam with 3M (I recommend 3/8"... Used 1/8" and the rattle is gone 90% of the time)

This was done on a car with the MFT screen. However, it'll work the non-MFT screen also.

Step 1 - You need to remove a plastic trim. Use your hand. Push it down and pull. Be gentle but be firm.

Step 2 - Remove the screws (2x). Use a small screwdriver or a screwdriver with an angle. If you have a regular sized screwdriver, you'll have to put your car in D to remove the screw oo the right because of the stick.

Step 3 - The faceplate should be loose at that point. Pull it up a little bit and pull. It should come off pretty easily.

Forget the first image in the following picture. In the second image, we can see a snap at the top and one of each side. Be careful not break those. Very important (not the arrow you see).

Step 4 - Once the faceplate is off, there's no need to disconnect the cable behind it. Arround the screen, there's a metal frame. Put the foam ONLY on the top frame of the screen.
(sorry, don't have picture for that part!)

Step 5 - Put everything back (reverse order).

Step 6 - Once you are done, push both side of the faceplate at top left and top right to make sure it snap in position. The gap between the dash and the faceplate near the vent should be 1.5MM or about 1/16".

----

I'll do the odometer later when it's warmer also.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Hey all,

Not sure if this is common or not. But around 2500 rpm, I have a loud rattling sound coming from the dash right around or behind the stereo. I have sync without MFT.

not sure what it is but its really annoying and occurs only between 2200-2700 rpm no matter what speed im going. Since i am cruising around that on the highway, its REALLY annoying and been having this issue since I bought the car.

Anyone else have this issue?
I saw you mentioned heading to your dealer today, did you get a chance to? Please let me know, along with your mileage.

Meagan

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I didn't get a chance to today. Might go tomorrow if weather allows. My car only has about 6800 miles on it.
Sounds good. :) When you get ready to go (if you haven't already by the time you see this), please send me a private message with your VIN, best daytime phone, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I went to the dealership and they think its the clutch. so I will drop the car off tomorrow morning for a "touch point" update. And if that doesnt fix it, they will be putting in a new clutch. really? a clutch at 6800 miles?

im confused. hopefully it'll fix it.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
So I went to the dealership and they think its the clutch. so I will drop the car off tomorrow morning for a "touch point" update. And if that doesnt fix it, they will be putting in a new clutch. really? a clutch at 6800 miles?

im confused. hopefully it'll fix it.
I got your message, and am looking into it.

Meagan

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I picked up my car from the dealership this morning. Don't have that annoying rattle anymore. They did a touch point update, replaced the transmission seals, and tightened everything around the transmission. Turns out I also had a leak coming from the engine, which they fixed.

All in all, great service from Al Packer Ford!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts