Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car drives fine except when i come to a complete stop and floor the gas seems like it bogs a little and i get a profound rattle which sounds like metal on metal as soon as the car is moving 1-2 seconds later it stops and the noise is gone any ideas? the car is an atx btw

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
there are alot of differnt things this could be, i would start by going over all the joints in the suspension and maybe take a look at the motor mounts. see if you can notice where exactly the sound is coming from. maybe that will help point you in the right direction, just my $00.02

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the input i know my endlinks are shot but it doesn't sound the same, i just replaced the rear motor mount so i know that isn't the problem and the other two look like they are in decent condition except for the one under the stock air box which is a little worn, ill try to post audio of the noise

·
Registered
64 Posts
it would be great if you could record it and post it here, my car does the same thing and my mechanic said its a worn driverside engine mount (the one under the airbox), but i found another page on here where it mentions the exhaust shield making a similar noise, so now i dont know which is doing what...

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Your not running low grade gas are you???

Because to me it sounds like detonation.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I see you have an "AEM cai with custom shield". Is the shield metal? That might the noise. Also on mine the flex pipe had separated itself from the inside causing a "rattle". Are you still running a "cat"? That might be breaking loose a little also.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm guessing heat shielding. Mine does that when i hit certain rpm's. Id like to just rip the damn thing out but I don't want to risk lighting my interior on fire.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ive gone back to the stock tune and it is still there, also unless its the cai itself the shield isn't making the noise because i only recently added it and the noise was there before, for heat shields which ones should i check its a prominent rattle i didn't think it could be a heat shield

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh and yes i am still running a cat, stupid emissions

·
Registered
199 Posts
Does this only happen if the car is moving? Meaning, if you're in neutral and rev the engine up, can you still create the rattle?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
only happens if there is load on the engine, so i can be at a stop put it in neutral and rev the living daylight out of it without getting any rattle, but if i put it back into drive or reverse and stomp a decent amount on the gas i get a rattle happening until the car is moving so about 2 seconds after i press the gas

·
FF God of South FL
2,417 Posts
same thing with me

·
Registered
800 Posts
yea bro if u got an atx all of them are noisey mine does it to from low rmps to about 2000rpms its normal every zx3 iv ridden in does it

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
Well I noticed that the person who started the thread has a borla exhaust check the cat like right under the cd player if the hangers are bent up it will make your exhaust hang lower. I know mine is rubbing in that spot but I have an orp too. Its just a though...

·
Registered
422 Posts
i think i have this same problem with my SPI .... its mosly when i put it in reverse and get going....it only makes the noise at low RPMs too....i donno what to say except that it annoys the $#!& out of me

·
FF God of South FL
2,417 Posts
yeah i have a 5spd 07 it happens when im in gear from about 3-4500 rpm

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i had a 92 ranger that had a cat go out and it made a rattle at the same rpm in every gear. I think that because its only when i stomp on the gas from a stop i should be able to locate the area its coming from sounds like back of the engine so i don't think its the cat unless its just so loud that i can't tell where it really is coming from.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts