Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came back from trying to start my focus -08.

First try it seemed to try to turn the start engine but I can't swear that that was happening (I wasn't focused on listening when just expecting the car to start). All other tries there is a rapid clicking from the motor compartment. I'm alone so I can't check exactly where it's coming from.

Battery voltage is 11.77v, radio and dash comes on, lights as well.

The rapid clicking was very fast. It's hard to time but I aproximate it to 5-15 times a second.

I have not done anything with the electrical. Started fine yesterday, doesn't start today, 12h later.

Note: I usually don't drive very far so I realize that the battery maybe doesn't recharge fully which explains the 11.77v but I would assume it would at least try to turn the start engine instead of just clicking

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
replace your battery, the rapid fire clicks is the starter solenoid trying to engage but there is not enough cranking amps.

you need 2 things from the battery for the engine to start which is voltage and current (Amps), after years of usage the battery will slowly deteriorate most batteries last 5-7 years some last longer but your voltage sounds fine but your battery probably doesn't have the ability to supply the cranking amps..

you CAN try to slowly charge it with a battery charger and charge it on trickle overnight.

if you have a second car and a set of booster cables try to boost your car using your other car if it starts then most likely your battery is no good and needs to be replaced

Reactions: PhilPhocus

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
replace your battery, the rapid fire clicks is the starter solenoid trying to engage but there is not enough cranking amps.

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I went and bought a new battery. hooked it up beside the car with jumper cables and after a few minutes I tried to start the car. It worked so I replaced the battery in the car.

As a perk, now my front passenger side window actually works as intended, it needed a reset but I was hesitant since my used car didn't come with the radio security code.

·
Registered
228 Posts
FYI: you can buy Interstate 3 year Batteries for $75 @costco. You almost pay for your $50 membership with one purchase

"Losers focus on winners, winners focus on winning" TB12

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
[wrenchin] glad you got it working again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts