Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
GreyRice WOoT!
10,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i got a sub an amp i got from detiortbass, and very mint and excellent price i may add.

so heres my question
i got a eclipse xa1000 amp with a eclipse 7324 sub 12''

my friend helped me install it cuz he knows what hes doing.

no heres the problem he adjusted the amp towards rap songs, and they sound very good and hit hard.
but i rarely listen to rap, mainly rock, so when i put in a rock cd sub hardly hits[:(]

so then he adjust it to mainly rock and also did my HU settings, have a pioneer 680 premier, and well it doesnt hit all that well either?

he said not to turn the loudness on, or to get the SLA above 2 or keep the bass under 2, and really it aint hitting like i thought it would, i barely feel a rumble...
and he said i could blow the sub which i dun wanna do?

so does anyone know if i can get it louder with a better thump without blowing up the sub?
i just want a nice rumble in the cabin not barely noticable

-thanks all
-chris

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I don't know much about the sub/amp (at work, don't feel like looking everything up...sorry). But turn the loudness setting on. It makes a night and day difference. Keeping the SLA under two is a good idea, but I'm not sure why he would have told you to turn loudness off.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
First off - Loudness is meant for low volumes. DON'T TURN IT ON IF YOU ARE GOING TO CRANK IT OR YOU WILL RUIN SOMETHING! That's why there is an EQ.

*SIGH* Sorry for the yelling, but it's true!

What is your crossover set at for the sub? Maybe turn it up a little bit.

Are you listening to CD's, MP3's, radio... that matters to some degree. CD's sound the best, but even they are recorded and tweaked a littl when they are being produced. My Pink Floyd 'Wish You Were Here' CD is much quieter than some of my other CD's. Radio stations are setup differently as well. Rock stations might not have the bass turned up as much as a rap station.

Lastly, rap songs have the lower bass frequencies, where rock songs don't. If it's the ultra low sounding bass that shakes your car you are seeking, rock that utilizes instruments (instead of synthesizers) won't do it.

My opinion, set the stereo to music that you listen to mostly. You say you listen to rock, set it up for rock. Who cares if your friend likes rap? Afterall, it's YOUR vehicle!

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
does the pioneer 680 premier have preset EQs?
My stock blaupunkt mp3 has the EQ button which cycles thru no-EQ, Pop, Rock, Disco, classic, and vocals.

Needless to say, the button does everything, aside from adjusting the Bass setting from time to time...

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I have to disagree about the loudness thing (at least in my car)....

I have the loudness on all the time, and it hasn't ruined anything yet. The deck has been in the car for about a year and half, and the sub/amp have been in for almost a year. I have the Pioneer 7600 and even with the volume at or a little above half, it still sounds good and nothing distorts. Granted, the amp settings are relatively tame, but I haven't had any problems with having loudness on. Also, no matter how I tune the EQ (be it my custom tune or the presets) it just doesn't have the same sound when loudness is off. Just my $0.02...

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have the pioneer 7700 and I set my amp up for rap (But listen to rock) I turn the amp control on my head to -6 so when i want that big boom i go up to around -2 or 0 when i want just a thump i go down to -5 or -6 that is what works for me( when cops are around i turn it OFF)

·
GreyRice WOoT!
10,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the advice, my HU has lots of settings i can tweak, really im not sure what to call them all, but i can change tons of stuff, i reset the sub amp to more rock cuz yea rap is nice now and then, but rock is what i like, and it hits pretty good now, i turned my loudness to either low or mid is what its at, and my sub power is 2-3 out of 6, i got SL numbers from +6 to -23 its just a long list, i guess the premiers are more of audio tweakable then just the regualr pioneers, ill just have to mess with it more to get it good, and my amp has that clipping light, i turn it down a lil when it starts to flash so its still crisp sounding

·
Registered
168 Posts
Pkmgarf said:
I have to disagree about the loudness thing (at least in my car)....

I have the loudness on all the time, and it hasn't ruined anything yet.
Many (mostly newer) decks will adjust the loudness contour depending on volume. The higher the volume the lesser the loudness contour.

Without that feature, when you turn the volume up, if the signal is clipped than it will be amplified that much more because of the loudness feature. When you amplify a boosted clipped signal... it won't be good for your subwoofer (hence the reason why I think Toolman00 said something would get ruined).

If your headunit doesn't have that feature, lucky you (for nothing having been ruined).

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
^^^^I would assume, then, that my deck adjust the loudness as the volume goes up. The difference between it being off and on is like the difference between AM radio and a CD (okay...maybe not QUITE that big of a difference...but you get the idea).

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
remmargorp hit the nail on the head. I was referring to boosting an already clipped signal.

I'm gonna have to see about the boost with my deck. I have it turned off, though I will agree with it having more bass - remember it also boosts the upper end of the music as well (at least mine does)!

I never heard about it cutting the boost when you turn up the music, but with the way technology has been improving it wouldn't surprise me. I'm not really scared of ruining my equipment, but I think I'll raise my crossovers for my speakers and lower my sub output a little so I can put off my plans for a little longer.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Klondike said:

my friend helped me install it cuz he knows what hes doing.

no heres the problem he adjusted the amp towards rap songs, and they sound very good and hit hard.
but i rarely listen to rap, mainly rock, so when i put in a rock cd sub hardly hits[:(]

so then he adjust it to mainly rock and also did my HU settings, have a pioneer 680 premier, and well it doesnt hit all that well either?

he said not to turn the loudness on, or to get the SLA above 2 or keep the bass under 2, and really it aint hitting like i thought it would, i barely feel a rumble...
and he said i could blow the sub which i dun wanna do?

Your first problem is you played rap on your system, big no no. That's why the word CRAP, ends with RAP. Oh, and he may not be familir with tuning the system to hit hard on the beats for Rock. Trust me, I know people that only know how to set a radio for particular music type. Just sit in the car, listening to something you like, and play with your settings that way. You'll find out what impacts where and how YOU want it set.

[thumb]

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Yeah...the loudness/boost definately increases the highs temendously. I have the high pass on my deck set for 80hz and the sub set to +2 or +3 (the gains on my amp are set pretty conservatively).

·
Registered
571 Posts
Not sure on the specs on the amp, but I would make sure its set to Low Pass, and then adjust the crossover and level for the sub. Shouldnt take much to get alot out of it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
set your subwoofer crossover (lpf) to 80hz or 100hz on the deck. You also have to adjust the low-pass on the amp (one of the 3 knobs) to about 80-100 hz. what this does is it allows those higher frequencies from drums and bass guiters (that aren't in rap) through so the sub can play them. But in order to get the best "rumble" out of rock music, you need to upgrade your speakers to 6-1/2 coax or component and amplify them. The frequencies of rock music are better reproduced by a 6-1/2 cone then a 12. Don't get me wrong, you still need a sub for a lot of rock, but you also need the mid-range that 6-1/2's offer.

·
GreyRice WOoT!
10,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^^hmm i never thought of that, but i do want to upgrade me speakers, they dound pretty good, but im sure once i get new ones ill be like damn, night and day. what would you recommend for a speaker amp, 100=150 watts maybe?

and ive been tweaking it more naad im getting more use to it by the day, finding the right spots, and on my amp i have a input that goes from 8 to .2 why cant i get it much more then 8 or 7? it clips really badly if i move it past 7, i am turning it to the right as right goes towards .2

1 - 16 of 16 Posts