Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welp, I finally took the challange head on and did it. With the help of Missourileo, I was able to take care of the timeing belt, tensioner, and idler pulley...as well as water pump. While I was in there I noticed my serpetine belt got slashed by a tiny rock that was stuck to the tensioner pulley, so I replaced that too. Here are some very random pics, feel free to use these in any kind of write up may have.

old belt but new water pump installed, they sure didn't leave any room in there to play around. Found myself raising and lowering the jack to get things out. You can see residue on the bracket the power sterring is attached to...not sure if its from water pump or power steering pump![:(] Just have to monitor it!

All the covers cleaned up and ready for install.

This is the only wear I see in the timing belt, as it has been rubbing on the aluminum cover, or something...IDK. It was still a lot of fun to tear into the car

Weird timing belt tensioner pully:

Crank picture

Ready for the new goods

new stuff

And I leave u with this

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Nothin better then the satisfaction of doing it your self. And saving some bucks!
Nice job. Hows she running ?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothin better then the satisfaction of doing it your self. And saving some bucks!
Nice job. Hows she running ?
Indeed, plus it's nice to tinker out in the garage ever now and again. [wrenchin]

Not a big difference, seems a lil smoother...just glad she fired up again. The old belt looked fine and the tensioner pulley was still functional, might of had a lil life left, but I didn't want to take the risk.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Saving some bucks? Man that's an understatement, timing belt jobs are a labor heavy :(

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
You said you had to raise and lower the jack to wiggle things out of there, were you talking about that middle cover? I just did this on my brothers car the other day and that middle cover was a PITA on his car. All the bolts were longer than they needed to be and would hit the frame before coming out, basically trapping the cover in place.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You said you had to raise and lower the jack to wiggle things out of there, were you talking about that middle cover? I just did this on my brothers car the other day and that middle cover was a PITA on his car. All the bolts were longer than they needed to be and would hit the frame before coming out, basically trapping the cover in place.
I had to lower the car to get the water pump out, and had to raise the car to get the serpentine belt idler pulley out. As far as the middle cover goes, three of the four bolts came out...the last one I just pulled out with the cover. Was very tight, yes, however I was able to snake it outta there.

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
Awesome Job !!!! I knew you could do it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome Job !!!! I knew you could do it.
Couldn't have done it without ya man! Well, I guess I could of, but would of took a lot longer. You helped calm me down and were able to answer all questions needed! I owe ya one man![headbang]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great job man. Ok now quick question. Do you or anybody else on here know where I can get the middle timing belt cover (the metal part in the 5th pic)?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ok, I've read all the threads and I'm still confused on how to get everything positioned correctly to be able to install the timing belt. Where to get the tools to postion the cams & crank in their correct position prior to installing the belt. They're are so many kits online that say they fit "SVT Focus", but they look different. My/our situation is: My wife was driving the car at approx. 55mph and it just lost power. The crank turns but the cams do not. The belt didn't break. Can I check for bent valves w-out pulling the head? I've got the top & botm covers off and the valve cover off, but that's as for as I've gotten. BTW we have 128,000 miles on it (yeah I know I should have done this long ago. Ignorance was bliss). Sorry for the long post. I'll appreciate any help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts