Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

The past few weeks I have been experiencing what seems to be a very random starting issues.

Example of issue:
I will go out and start my car in the morning, drive around town. I'll run errands which makes me get outa my car and come back.. car starts fine....

I'll stop for gas, and I wont be able to start it. I have to give it a push, stick it in gear and then it starts. OR Put it in gear, try and get it to start.. if it does not work I usually can just turn the key and POOF the car starts again. What's up?

What seems to be the reoccurring event of when I stop for gas, put $10-$20 bucks in the tank, and go to start my car again and this is when its dead. I turn the key and hear no noise, nadda nothing. I give it a push, jump in, put it in gear and its good. Or when I put it in gear and it does not start, but if I immediatly turn the key it will start. weird I think...

I've put in a brand new battery since, and driven around town.

I've also noticed that my lights are flickering from bright to really dull.....

I have a 2000 SE with 45k...

I'm already planning on calling the dealership Monday to schedule an appointment to get the Recall - Pinch Bolt Torque & Battery Cable Routing done, but need to get a few other "recalls" done if possible. You think that after the new cable routing is done this will solve my issue, or is this something else?

Any advice/suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
575 Posts
sounds like you should clean your battery cables and it could possibly be that your starter is going bad but i doubt it if it's still starting

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cleaned the cables really well when I put in the new battery. Got some sand paper, and cleaned the the inside of the terminals really well..

Anyone have a pic of what there battery terminal looks like? My ground and my positive cables could be redone... they do look a bit old.

Thanks for the assistance! [driving]

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's a pic of my battery + terminals... Bad pic, but hopefully u get the idea...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can anyone tell me what the two wires on the neg side are?

There is a thin wire that's orange/black and a light blue/black cable. Both are going to the neg terminal on the battery. Can't really follow the full route of the cables. Looking in the hynes, and not seeing the cables.

Thanks!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've replaced the top batt terms, replaced neg-to-car ground. I made new ends for both pos and neg to each term.

So far its started every time. :) I will monitor for the next few days to see if problems come back.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update

Ok, this issue is STILL happening, and its getting only worse it seems.

2 weeks ago I had the dealership fix the following recall items.

-00S20 - A-PILLAR TRIM
-00S31 PRESS PUT REAR WHEEL BEARING INSTALL NEW AND INSTALL SEALS
-02S41-PINCH BOLT TORQUE AD ZETEC ENGINE BATTERY CABLE ROUTING
-03N01 LACKS POWER, FUEL PUMP REPLACED.

And still I'm having starting issues....

Yesterday I got into my car around 2pm, started no issues.. Went to the store, pick up groceries, came out about 45min later and I could not start the car.. All I heard was clicking etc. I got a jump start from my brother and I drove back home. I did not go anywhere else that night.

This morning I needed to go to the bank, so I jumped in my car and it started but with some hesitation.... I went to the bank, and then decided to goto the store as well. While I was in the store parking lot I let the car idle for a few min, and then turned it off. Tried to start again and nothing. Only the gauges would move, but no sounds, no clicking etc...

I did what I had to do in the store came out. I threw it in N, and proceeded to push my car for the 100th time this month, threw it in gear and it started and I drove off.

I Came back home, let it idle for a bit, trying to listen for any weird sounds etc, none. Turned it off, and DEAD again. PLEASE HELP!!

I've concluded its the either alternator, starter, starter solinod or something else? I don't know enough about FORD's to know what it could be.

I have a 2000 SPI with 45k..... why is everything on this car breaking in the 40k mark? What a POS! I just want to fix this, and sell it!!

Thanks for helping!

·
Registered
142 Posts
i think ur on the right track with the strater or silonid, if theres no clicks. but im no mecanic just a poor speller.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't sell it... are you having power issues? or is it just starting issues.
I've just been having starting issues... No power issues. When Im driving it feels like theres LOTS there..

Yeah, its fun to drive I have to admit! [driving]

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yay

So after ~30min of poking my head under, and above the engine compartment I found the engine ground which is just about right below the coil. Looking closer at it I found that it was NOT screwed in all the way. There was about a 1/2" gap in between the block?? and the head of the bolt. I cleaned up the ground cable, and remove some of the old tape.... Image attached for your viewing pleasure!

What I think happened is the 2nd time I had to get the clutch replaced the tech did not look close enough to make sure the bolt was tight against the enginge and it felt tight so he thought it was good, but in reality there is still a 1/2" gap.....

Now this is a 13mm socket I used, but I did not really have the right extensions. I had one that was too short, or too long. There is so many bloody cables in the way I was doing nothing but cussing at it! What a PITA!!!

So yeah, I think that fixed it. :) Thanks to all that helped!! [driving]

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hmm I was wondering if it was a grounding issue......
Yeah, that's exactly what it seems to be. I'm still monitoring things, but so far everytime my car has started with no issues. So yay!

Now I can work on the list of other issues that plagues my car. :)

[driving]

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
hmm I actually clicked on this because I'm having a "random starting issue" as well, only I mean the car starts, but right after it starts there's like this "ping, ping, ping" coming front the front.....kinda like something's banging around.... you have SPI, have you ever had that happen?

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
heh I'm not trying to steal your thread (eh but looks like i might :B) but uh, sometimes after starting it like 7 times in a row within a short time period, it turns over like 4 or five times, then seems to die.......then just starts [scratch]

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, sounds like a possible ground issue as well. I had something very similar to what you're explaining above.

I would look at battery terminals first. Make sure they are clean and have a good connection.

For me, I could always jump start it, or push start it.

good luck!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts