Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2002 focus and 8 months ago it would start to lose power and only run at an idle so changed the plugs wires and coil and seemed to work. but just afew days ago it started to lose power again and would have to turn car off for about 15 min and start it and would get about 20 miles and it would do it again.had to keep doing this to get home. no lights on dash. and the fuel filter was also replaced. any ideas[?|][?|]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
You should get hold of a scan tool to check fuel pressure when this is happening. Symptoms are those for a failing fuel pump, but you DON'T want to replace that on a guess.

Checking for 'pending" codes may also be helpful.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
^^yes. Either do it yourself if you can, or take it to a garage to test it. If it is the fuel pump, it will eventually die entirely and leave you stranded at -35 in the middle of nowhere. No fun.

Did you check the coil harness when you did the coil? I thought mine looked okay initially but the middle green wire had a tiny break in the insulation right at the plug that ended up causing all kinds of trouble including not running under load. Eventually it threw some codes, but it took awhile.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts