Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i drive 05 zx3 2.0 ... lately randomly it will just start dying while driving...my a/f gauge goes up to 16...feels like its gettin no fuel at all...when i press the gas pedal the car just like putters...i dont know how else to describe it...i pull over...it stalls out...i start it up..it seems to run fine...varying from 5 seconds to 15 min it will do it again....eventually its just starts constantly doing it...so i have had it towed to the shop twice... they get there in the morning...they try to reproduce the problem but everything runs fine when its there...the first time it happened i was able to drive probably a little over a month before it happened again...over the past two weeks it has started happening more and more frequently....shop thinks it might have to do with the wiring on the coilpacks or possibly having something to do with the tach/tach adaptor

any ideas??

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
My first thoughts would be fuel filter or fuel pump. Right off, I would not know of anything else. Maybe some one else could chime in.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My first thoughts would be fuel filter or fuel pump. Right off, I would not know of anything else. Maybe some one else could chime in.

even though it happens randomly....not constantly?

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Yes. I had a Cougar that did that very same thing and was bad gas that was clogging up the filter. I do know there were intermittent problems with fuel pumps, but I am not sure which years. I could be wrong on this, but it would be something to check.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I think the tach adapter might be on the right track. Depending on how you have it wired in maybe it's hitting something and grounding out (ECU looses Crank Position Sensor input) and car dies. It would make sense. The ECU has to have a Crank input to send a spark signal.

Also I am assuming the A/F gauge is a narrow band one since they are the most common, and in which case pay no attention to it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts