Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was my first time racing the Focus since the turbo, and only the second time racing a FWD.
Overall I'm satisfied with the performance of the car and my driving.
This track is known for poor 60' times, so I don't think I'll be able to get it down much more without drag radials or slicks or go to another track.
I hope to run at Mason Dixon Dragway around October, which is 750' lower elevation and a better track all around.

I'm quite pleased with the Exedy stage 2 clutch and the Phantom Grip combo.
The clutch grabbed hard between gears and the PG kept both tires planted.

I did get some wheel hop when doing a burnout.. mainly on the right side which doesn't have a poly mount.
Wheel hop when launching was minimal. Nothing like when it was stock thanks to a poly dog bone mount and tranny mount.

I typically powershift at the track, but I have not brought myself to pound that hard on my daily driver.

I was hoping to see a 14.5 sec slip today with a 2.0 60', but I'll take a 14.74.

Details:
Tires are Fuzion HRi 205/50-16. Not exactly drag tires. [:)]
Stock 2.0 Duratec motor with a Tbird IHI turbo @ ~11psi
Draw-through MAF. Tuned by LaSota Racing in Columbus OH
Conservative tuned for 91 octane. AF 10.8 at WOT.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Nice race! You were diffenetly catching that GTI. I think with a better launch you would have killed the GTI and could see low 14's.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
what is your HP/TQ?

i would figure you would have UNDER a 14.5 with that turbo on there.......though you said you don't race much...

I ran a 15.1 NA.......

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what is your HP/TQ?

i would figure you would have UNDER a 14.5 with that turbo on there.......though you said you don't race much...

I ran a 15.1 NA.......
Sorry I didn't meet your expectations.
I don't know what the HP numbers are. It's not that important to me.
I'd like to know what exactly you did to run a 15.1. I find that hard to believe with a full-weight Focus on street tires.
I'm not new to racing, just new to racing FWD.
FYI my car ran a 16.35 stock at this track. The elevation is also 1250'.

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
cool stuff! id love to see what it does with better tires and a bit more launch exp [thumb]

·
Regulator...mount up
3,026 Posts
yea stickier tires + a nice suspension setup to reduce a bit of lift would set it off nicely! do u have any other mods apart from those listed? maybe some bolt-ons will add extra oomph

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea stickier tires + a nice suspension setup to reduce a bit of lift would set it off nicely! do u have any other mods apart from those listed? maybe some bolt-ons will add extra oomph
Full mod list:
IHI turbo
2.5" IC piping
2.5" FMIC
3" turbo back
3" catco cat
3" Magnaflow muffler
Modified stock shifter (shorter with a Mustang shifter)
Poly trans and dogbone mounts
Exedy 3-puck clutch (stage 2)
Phantom Grip

I'm not really concerned with extra oomph.
I'm going to do some port matching on my turbo manifold and turbo inlet which might help a bit.
I know a leaner tune with more timing would produce more power, but I'm satisfied with this tune.

Next trip to the track I may do some weight reduction, stiffer rear springs (already have), and I'm tempted to remove my exhaust after the downpipe.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 60' is killing me. Without sticky tires I won't run better on this particular track.
There's no way to drive around the water box either.

·
Registered
670 Posts
e.
I'd like to know what exactly you did to run a 15.1. I find that hard to believe with a full-weight Focus on street tires.
I'm not new to racing, just new to racing FWD.
FYI my car ran a 16.35 stock at this track. The elevation is also 1250'.
i ran a little bit slower time in the 1/8,but at a the close to the same mph as you with a 2.3 with i/h/e and a 2.3 60' time.i went [email protected] it def is possible to run a 14 with a n/a focus.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
yup, it is possible, I did run a 14's second pass!!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh I never said it wasn't possible, but there's always more to the story.
For reference, the same night a buddy of mine ran his 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 and didn't get higher than 93mph at this track and he's a great driver.
He was even running without a cat.
A lot of variables go into a 1/4 mile time, and there can be a huge difference between tracks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Track to track can be a big factor. Some have great traction some are almost like launching on the street. The track I race at is at 1500ft but some of the bracket racers bring the air calculators and with corrections most of the time my track works out to be around 4500 ft elevation!

Here is what I did with that same turbocharger in a 3700 lb race weight car at 20 psi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p-RAcaOves

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The DA (Density Altitude) for that day was 2696'.

Nice run in the TC. :)
20psi is really pushing that IHI.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Too many people just go larger and larger on turbo size without needing to. Yes 20 psi was pushing that turbo hard but I did it for years and when the turbo came off the car it was still in good condition with 185k miles on it. IHI builds some great turbochargers! My friend built a turbo ZX2 and had great luck with water alky injection plus a good intercooler on a stock Zetec motor. He can run 15 psi with 92 oct. pump gas in it. His turbo is makes the IHI you run look huge. It's a TE04 of a 2.2 Dodge. You might want to look into water injection it does good things for cars with high compression fragile pistons.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, I'll do some reading up on the water injection.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
No Offence intended, but something just doesnt seem right. At 10psi you should be in the 250whp range and maybe in the mid to high 13's.

Do you have a dyno of the car... I would like to see how the power comes on.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No Offence intended, but something just doesnt seem right. At 10psi you should be in the 250whp range and maybe in the mid to high 13's.

Do you have a dyno of the car... I would like to see how the power comes on.
No offense taken.
The car is a 2.0 Duratec, which puts it about 200whp at 10psi depending on tune of course.
I have not had my dynoed at 10psi.
As I stated in the first post it's tuned very conservatively to 91 octane.

Aside from the tune, the track conditions were not exactly stellar.
A 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 only trapped 93mph consistently, and that was without a cat.
I know the driver personally and he's a great driver too.
So seeing as an MS3 trapped 93mph on these conditions and my Focus trapped 96mph I'm quite pleased.
It should also be obvious the 60' time was terrible and shows the potential for a low 14 time with a 2.0 60'.

I know these numbers aren't as impressive as the SVT and 2.3 guys are producing at the lower elevation tracks, but all things considered I'm pleased and think the car is running just as it should be.

·
Registered
491 Posts
yeah its possible ... well on my 2.3L ST my best time was a 14.92 not sure of the mph but my launch was amazing and no tire spin it hooked and gone i was lol. but the rest of the times that night were 15.0s 15.1s

Mods on cat were Cossi Cold Air, Flex back exhaust, B\S and KW2 tires.

On a 2.0L yeah you will have to do alittle more to the car to get to the 14s but a fullt built N/A will do LOW 14s high 13s easy.

But with your set up that time seems good and more launching practice will get you down a couple of tenths

1 - 20 of 23 Posts