Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so there's a learning curve to the Focus just like any car. I was under the (incorrect) assumption that "Distance to E" was not only somewhat accurate, but that once you hit "Distance to E = 0" you would still have a little bit left in reserve. I was driving back from Seattle last night and was watching the miles I had left based upon the miles to my destination. After driving for 3 hours, my Focus ran out of gas about 100 feet short of the off-ramp to the exit for my house (about 2.5 miles from home). The readout still read: "Distance to E = 7". Well, obviously not!!! [gunfire]

Ford roadside assistance rocked. Within 20 minutes a guy was there with a couple of gallons of gas to get me home.

Funny, I remember reading that several of you have driven their Foci all the way until they had zero remaining miles without a problem. Oh well! Lesson learned.

Tony

·
Registered
291 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
noticed that you have over 3500 miles...how's the car treating you so far?
Mixed. Had a VERY rough start with tons of MFT problems. After they replaced the APIM everything has been dandy. Finally, I'm loving the car.

Tony

·
Registered
130 Posts
I dunno how true it is but I always heard not to run a tank too low because the pump may pick up sediment in the bottom of the tank. Since your car is so new, doubt thats an issue.

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2011/05/running-on-empty-low-gas-in-the-tank-can-be-costly.html

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_it_better_to_refill_your_gas_tank_before_it_gets_near_empty

p.s. thats a great looking instrument cluster at night
Sometimes the gas pump is cooled by the gas too. I've heard of pumps burning up from people running their cars with too little gas for too long.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Oh yeah; if you have the navigation, all of the gas stations show up on the map after the gas light goes on.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The miles until empty is based on average fuel numbers plus other things, so should always be taken as a guide and not a hard and fast number. Remember, you could have an eighth of a gallon of gas in your tank, but it may not be enough for the direct injection system to work with. Fuel pumps of any kind need enough fuel to be available to work.

In general, once you see that 30 miles until empty, you should be throwing gas in the tank since that will be around the one gallon mark, give or take.

·
Registered
357 Posts
baahahhahahaha, I like that gauge.

·
Registered
207 Posts
heard on "Car Talk" once that you shouldn't go below quarter tank just to be safe as pump uses the fuel itself to cool down.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
I've taken mine down to '0' before with no issues. Only got 11.75 gallons back into the tank, too. Not sure if the 12.5 gallon advertised capacity is completely filled to the brim or how full you can get it with gas at the pump...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Funny, I remember reading that several of you have driven their Foci all the way until they had zero remaining miles without a problem. Oh well! Lesson learned.

Tony
Tony - Sorry to hear this, and I was going to post a question regarding the fuel tank system on the forums, but I guess this is the time to do it.

On our old 2002, the manual says that there is a reserve fuel tank when you hit empty. However in the 2012 manual, although it says the same, it seems different. I remember being on E and scared to death in the '02 when I hit E and the fuel light was still on, but I still was able to drive to a gas station safely to fill.

So the question is, is the 2012 reserve system the same as the 2002? It seems different based on your experience and my experience with filling the tank (it seems like the fuel gauge is dead accurate for the tank, while in my '02 it seems to underestimate). Does anyone else see differently?

·
Registered
75 Posts
heard on "Car Talk" once that you shouldn't go below quarter tank just to be safe as pump uses the fuel itself to cool down.
This bugs me - the concept, that is.

Here is the discussion on Car Talk (or one of them). http://community.cartalk.com/discussion/2169594/fuel-pumps-empty-gas-tanks/p1

It has all the decisiveness of the premium versus regular debate.

One of the most concrete points in it is a link to a fuel pump manufacturer's brochure. http://www.airtexproducts.com/AIRTEXpdfs/Airtex_TTS_2008.pdf
Look for point 4 on page 3.

Normal wear. Most pumps are designed for long-term durability and performance, but their lifespan depends on lubrication and cooling provided by the fuel itself. Frequent driving with a low fuel level may occasionally starve the pump for lubrication and cooling, which can lead to accelerated wear or even pump damage.
This is pretty vague. Equating "low fuel" and less than a quarter tank seems a bit of a stretch. Does the pump need to be immersed to be liquidated and cooled? Or does it just need fuel running through it without sucking air? Kinda like a vacuum cleaner cooling itself by the air it sucks. Plug the input and the impeller has nothing to impel; the motor overheats.

The Car Talk discussion basically arrives at "what do you have to lose by keeping it more than quarter tank?" For me? It means I'd have to fill up every 3 days instead of every 4. I've run 19+ gallons out of 21 in my Murano consistently for the last 60k of it's 120k miles without issue yet.

I don't know. The Car Talk guys, if they addressed this and sided with the quarter tankers, usually are sensible. But I can't imagine an intended design to hurt itself if using more than 75% it's fuel capacity. Don't run it dry? That sounds sensible.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm pretty sure when that gas light pops on you should get to a station ASAP.

I just got done with a 3500 mile road trip from Houston to Vegas and back. My MTE reading was down in the single digits out in West Texas on I-10 where gas stations are few and far between but luckily I made it. I did notice that when I got down to the single digits they started counting down more quickly than a mile at a time. I'm pretty sure I had 5-6 miles on the MTE display and put in 11.352 gallons so it seems as if I had at least a gallon left in the tank.

·
Registered
239 Posts
On our old 2002, the manual says that there is a reserve fuel tank when you hit empty. However in the 2012 manual, although it says the same, it seems different. I remember being on E and scared to death in the '02 when I hit E and the fuel light was still on, but I still was able to drive to a gas station safely to fill.
It's not really a reserve tank, it's just that the fuel indicator lies to you. E can usually mean 1 gallon left on most cars. The DTE similarly will tell you 0 miles at one gallon left. Or some other arbitrary point. Manufacturers in my experience don't usually align E and 0 mi DTE with "the tank is bone dry and fuel pump is now starving". It's much better to let a few people pushing their luck think the car is running on air than leave them stranded on the side of the road.

Perhaps they've calibrated the new Focus to be more accurate, but that's hardly in the best interest of the driver. It's also possible that the level sensor on his car is faulty. I'd have the dealer check that out.

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
Posted via FF Mobile Yea, previous foci had about 1.5-2 gallons leftnin reserve after the E light came on. I want to know what its like in the new focus. How many miles did you go after your E light went on till it died on you?

·
Registered
221 Posts
As others have said, the real key is not pushing it TOO much. The miles until empty is CLOSE, but I see 30 miles until empty as being CLOSE to 1.5 gallons left, but you never want to go below the 1 gallon mark just because you may start sucking air and that is where you start running into problems.

Yes, there is some variation based on your miles per gallon as it relates to the miles until empty, so that is where the problem comes in. Just accept it, don't let it go below the 30 miles until empty mark and you will be fine, and you may be safe even at 15 miles until empty, but do you REALLY want to take that chance?

1 - 20 of 115 Posts