Votes: 24 25.5%
  • Other (post your creative ways!)

Votes: 7 7.4%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Ford Fiend
2,976 Posts
I've always wondered what I would do if I drove off the edge of the ramps, but it hasn't happened yet!
I'd say it would be a good reason to have a jack and jackstands nearby!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Well, you asked why... [rolleyes]
I guess. I meant it as more of a declarative, rhetorical "why," really.

You're largely right, though. The OP asked a simple question with a simple answer. This forum would be 98% smaller if knowledgeable, experienced, rational people could break through the screaming noobs.

This wasn't really a question that required a long discussion to arrive at a conclusion, though. I just found it moderately staggering (as staggering as an entry level compact car forum can be) that we're up to 4 pages to arrive at a solution that can be expressed in around 10 words. [:)]

·
Ford Fiend
2,976 Posts
I guess... I meant it as more of a declarative, rhetorical "why," really.

You're largely right, though. The OP asked a simple question with a simple answer. This forum could be 98% less fluff if knowledgeable, rational people could get through the screaming noobs.
I totally agree. My apologies for being harsh. This frustrates me as well, and it frustrates me that people don't read the threads before they post, because it really "mucks up" the discussion (for lack of a better term).

This wasn't really a question that required a long discussion to arrive at a conclusion, though. I just found it moderately staggering (as staggering as an entry level compact car forum can be) that we're up to 4 pages to arrive at a solution that can be expressed in around 10 words. [:)]
Agreed. [thumb]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Homemade wood ramps as the sole source of protection between the oil pan and my skull? Yikes! [goofydrunk]
The ramps I built are probably similar to what Elizabeth described. They are solid wood and easily safely support the weight of the car. I would bet they are safer than most commercial ramps because the incline isn't as steep and less likely to overshoot the end of the ramp.

They only raise the car 3 inches, which is just the right amount for me to comfortably access everything needed to change the oil. They are also smaller and store easily under my work bench.

·
-----<M>-----
2,724 Posts
The ramps I built are probably similar to what Elizabeth described. They are solid wood and easily safely support the weight of the car. I would bet they are safer than most commercial ramps because the incline isn't as steep and less likely to overshoot the end of the ramp.

They only raise the car 3 inches, which is just the right amount for me to comfortably access everything needed to change the oil. They are also smaller and store easily under my work bench.
Ah well now that I see them they seem completely reasonable. I may even throw some together now. Sorry Elizabeth! [wave]

·
Registered
348 Posts
My car is to low for my ramps... Jack plus jack stands... Or take it to sears they only charge $18

Hell even the jack I have to drive up on 2x4's first.

I need moar low profile lift.

·
Registered
422 Posts
ive got a set of $40 ramps from walmart ive used for years... gets it high enough for me to slide under and get the job done and a heck of a lot safer than using just a jack...

granted i do have a floor jack with stands... but its so much easier to just drive up the ramp lol

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
i use home made ramps from some scrap 2x12s, so that they are long enough not to hang up on the bumper

·
Wheel King, Bow Down
1,918 Posts
I can't even attempt to get onto ramps. The car is much much too low for that.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I can't even attempt to get onto ramps. The car is much much too low for that.
Just screw together 3 2x8s or 2x12s, one 4 feet long, one 3 feet and one 2 feet. Put another piece on the end to act as a stop. This will easily fit under the front end, is cheap and should be safe. Just be sure to stay on the ramps as you drive up!

·
Ford Fiend
2,976 Posts
failling to see how the ramp alternatives for low cars is easier/safer than jack stands
It's not safer--it's easier. You just drive it up the ramps, and that's that. Some ramps are low-profile enough to clear the front valence, others aren't. The low-profile ones are not hard to find. It's difficult to jack up the front end of this car from a central location with the large splash shield in the way under the engine bay, so there's another argument for using ramps.

This thread is repeating itself over and over. Everything I've just said has been said before...

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
I used to make ramps out of wood, very cheap and effective..just big and heavy tho

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
failling to see how the ramp alternatives for low cars is easier/safer than jack stands
There are longer ramps now designed for lowered cars.

·
Registered
165 Posts
for some 15 years i've always only used a jack without jack stands for basic oil changes on every car--even with access to rack for most of that time.

i never lift a wheel off the ground, instead just enough to reach the drain plug and filter--and with the mk3 they are so low and close to one another there is absolutely no need for ramps or a rack.

when using a jack it's nice to be able to let the car back down to level so that one can be certain that the pan has drained properly and completely.

a jack by itself is easier and faster and for myself hazard free.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
I would never use a jack without jackstands if under car...heard or even seen too many
Incidents....cheap scissor jacks collapsing.....aftermarket jacks having something blow out,
and instantly losing air pressure....i even use jackstands under ramps.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts