• Other (post your creative ways!)

Votes: 7 7.4%
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I wanted to get your opinions on using ramps instead of a jack for home oil changes. I want to try to perform the basic maintenance myself on my new Foci. My ramp concern: Is the oil drain plug located in such a way so the entire oil pan drains completely? And, I'm assuming the Foci will clear most ramps.

Also, I found a good deal on a well reviewed ramp.

Blitz RhinoRamps™ 8,000 Vehicle Ramps (Advanced Auto Parts)
Promo Code: DEALIO ($10 off)
Total: $22.99 + 6% tax

Thanks!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've always used ramps, it's a much safer way to change as long as you don't go over the ramp or not far enough. But it's safer for you once you are under there. There are no interference issues.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
i use a jack and jack stands. i would prefer ramps but the ones i have i can't get the car on because the bumper hits them.

·
Registered
100 Posts
i use a jack and jack stands. i would prefer ramps but the ones i have i can't get the car on because the bumper hits them.
Very good point. Some of them are too steep. I used to have that problem with an old set of metal ones I had. The rhino ones I have now are much longer and I've had no problems with my last 4 cars, MINI cooper, HHR SS, Subaru WRX and now the Fiesta.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I use ramps on the focus, our mustangs are too low for ramps so jack and stands are the only way after driving up on homemade ramps to clear the jack...

·
ELVIS LIVES !
2,553 Posts
Ramps are for the win. They make the job real easy and they are safer then a jack. If you get a good pair they will last forever.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ive used ramps forever, on pretty much every vehicle ive ever owned except for the 89 trans am I once owned it required a low profile jack. Im sure that when I lower my Foci ill be using a jack again.[ffrocks]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have always used jacks

I've always used jacks and have never really seemed to have any problems, however I have an old set of ramps in storage and now my curiosity has been peaked enough because it is definitely a safer option with ramps vs. jacks.

[werd]

·
Registered
505 Posts
I like to rotate my tires every oil change (7500 miles with Mobil 1) so I jack up the front wheels and put stands underneath, remove the drain plug, then break out the impact wrench and remove front wheels and place them by the rears. Jack up one rear at a time and put on the old front, then place the rears on the front. Tighten them to about 40-50 lb-ft with the impace wrench. Replace the drain plug, change the filter (fill the filter with new oil, set that quart aside). Put the car back on the ground, add the remaining 4 quarts while tightening the lug nuts with a torque wrench. Run engine, check the level, usually right on the money.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Jacks are easier in the sense that you can see where your jacking and setting your stands. Ramps are a bit more dicey in that the stock grade is to steep for most folks (I have a manual so it was a real problem not overdriving them). I use ramps (rhino). I fixed them by building ramp extenders. The grade is shallow enough to clear my front air dam. And impossible to overdrive. But unless you want to go that extra step, then stick with jacks. The other nice things about ramps though is, once it is on the ramps, I can still jack and set stands if for some reason I need more height. The ramps let you jack from the middle of the frame members, which is nice!

·
Registered
968 Posts
I prefer ramps for basic stuff, quick, easy, & secure.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
724 Posts
Well I just drive onto my lift and a push of a button up goes the car! :)

The lift was the best gift my wife has gotten me.

Seriously though I used to always use ramps and the cars that the front end was low enough to hit the ramp I would put a piece of 2x8 in front of the ramp. Drive onto the 2x8 then onto the ramp. Using this method I never ran across a car that I couldn't drive onto ramps.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Jacks all the way! They're compact, portable, can be stowed with the car, easy to use and don't require your car to be in any kind of running condition. But if I'm at home, its jacks then stands or ramp.

For example if you blow a tire on the road, you can just whip out some ramps.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Jackstands.... Not just for oil changes, infinitely more useful as you can take the wheels off or do suspension work. Also takes up less storage space.

·
Registered
968 Posts
The question is which do you prefer for DIY oil changes... not taking the wheels off (although that should be obvious). Ramps are better for quick jobs (that don't involve suspension components), jackstands are better for everything else, unless you have access to a lift.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
524 Posts
The question is which do you prefer for DIY oil changes... not taking the wheels off (although that should be obvious). Ramps are better for quick jobs (that don't involve suspension components), jackstands are better for everything else, unless you have access to a lift.

Posted via FF Mobile
Yes but answer only important if ask right question. Karate kid quote, I couldn't help it.[:D]

1 - 20 of 72 Posts