Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are alot of mods i want to do to my focus (radio,headlights,body kit,etc), but im not sure which one i want to do right now. This one seems like it work best because it slightly increases gas mileage (to my understanding) as well as give the car a tad bit more power, so it seems like in the long run it kind of pays itself off. My question though is, is it worth it? I like pounding the gas and hearing the engine roar when accelerating and such. But asking those who have done it, is it worth the investment?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
I'd get it rolling w/ the basic's= motor/suspesion/brake upgrades before body kit's!

There are alot of mods i want to do to my focus (radio,headlights,body kit,etc), but im not sure which one i want to do right now. This one seems like it work best because it slightly increases gas mileage (to my understanding) as well as give the car a tad bit more power, so it seems like in the long run it kind of pays itself off. My question though is, is it worth it? I like pounding the gas and hearing the engine roar when accelerating and such. But asking those who have done it, is it worth the investment?
Put it to the wood= Go for a header/2.5 exhaust/intake & a tune, that's a good start. Then you can upgrade the suspension/brake's, before doing headlights & body kit.

·
Registered
71 Posts
It does save some gas so I would say ya man do it if you want the car to be louder so you can truly get a good sound from the motor hack off the mufflers the cat gives you good back pressher so it won't hurt the proformence and it adds some more power

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
It does save some gas so I would say ya man do it if you want the car to be louder so you can truly get a good sound from the motor hack off the mufflers the cat gives you good back pressher so it won't hurt the proformence and it adds some more power

pressher?

LMAO.

Dont cut off the mufflers on a stock zx3, it sounds like a ricer gargling marbles.

So yeah, do what felix said, but if you want a quick answer, yes the intake does help, its not going to be a noticable performance difference that will turn your car into a rocket, but its definitely a necessary step towards getting more power out of your car.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL, i didnt plan on either of these mods turning my car into some sort of lambo killer. Which is better, headers or intake? because i dont really have much money to work with. Im kinda likin the sound of the fswerks race catback. Also, ive read that CAI can kill your car if it rains hard, its this a big problem? cuz if so i may go for a volant instead

·
R.I.P Kona
12,868 Posts
Volant is good. Cai only hurt you if you drive through high water not rain. Cat back exhaust is ok but should come after your other breathing mods.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Volant is good. Cai only hurt you if you drive through high water not rain. Cat back exhaust is ok but should come after your other breathing mods.

Just throwing my 2 cents in here but the Volant is amazing to hear once you get it installed. Definitely added power according to my butt dyno.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
"Ram air" is a term that's used far too loosely. I have yet to see proof from but 1 person that it actually works ... and even in his case it didn't add much, 1whp IIRC (without looking back over his datalogs).
To add to that, none of us know what kind of intake you have you eye on to give any legitimate first hand knowledge to you.

But as a generalization, more power to a certain extent can yield better fuel economy. This is due to you having to use less peddle to achieve the same speed over the same time.
But if you use the same amount of peddle to accelerate you will use more fuel, being that at that amount of peddle the car will be taking in more fuel being it's getting more air and needs an equal part fuel to burn properly.
In all cases, less peddle is where any added fuel mileage will come from. Second to that will be accelerating faster, to some extent.

Plainly put, don't fixate on one over the other. Concentrate on more power and the MPG's will follow suit pretty close.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think im either gonna go for an intake or a catback for now, for the sound. And im gonna deaden my doors and hatch, than build some boxes and redo my amps.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
intake first.

I think im either gonna go for an intake or a catback for now, for the sound. And im gonna deaden my doors and hatch, than build some boxes and redo my amps.
1 or the other, go for a desent intake then, & be done w/ it!

·
Registered
455 Posts
this is one thing that cracks me up worried about performance and fuel mileage and then put 500 lbs of stereo in....

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Better MPG, don't you know, huh!

this is one thing that cracks me up worried about performance and fuel mileage and then put 500 lbs of stereo in....
He's going for econimy= turn the motor off & roll down I-90 from the pass, so there! [headbang] [neener]

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hahaha. Im not going for 500lbs, i was thinking more like 400.... jk. The deadening will only add like 40lbs, Im not getting giant subs either so it prolly wont put in more than 100lbs. Which will make my car sound meaner, the intake, or the exhaust if i can only do one at a time?

·
Registered
455 Posts
if you want sound go for exhaust first then follow up with intake exhaust i would highly recommend trubenz. You can look up what everyone says about them on here they fit great and run almost half the price of a borla or mangnaflow system and sound the same.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I lowered my 1/4 mile times by over a second with a steeda cai,Roush cat-back exhaust and a sct programmer. That was in 06 zx5 auto 2.0l dtec....so I would say its definitely worth it
Posted via FF Mobile

1 - 17 of 17 Posts