Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, now I decided to search this topic before posting..so I am sure that I am going to get flamed for asking this question....so here it goes.

I want to take my focus off pavement. Not go blasting down abandoned roads..but down some windy country dirt/slight gravel roads that can be found locally. Also I plan to do some RallyCross coming up in May. It's time that I get new tires for the focus, and I plan to keep the stock rims on her. So what tire would people reccomend to give me that adequate balance between street/rally tires?

I am not into street racing the focus or anything (lord knows my autotragic would get whooped), but am interested in weight balance and drifting around turns...just general rally style driving. Also..are there any sort of mud flaps/fender flairs that could somewhat protect my paint from crap that my wheels may kick up?

So go ahead and flame me....I can take it! [B)] but great things always start with a crazy idea [thumb]

·
Registered
793 Posts
I think ATX + Rally Driving = really bad idea, you need a MTX to be safe and good because you need a lot of coltrol over what the car is doing, speed, gears, etc otherwise you're going to be all over the place, Id let that dream die....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I say you have no faith. You can always learn car control VIA an automatic. Then just upgrade. Some of us just arn't rich enough to go out and buy a whole new car...so we work with what we have.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Dude trust me I was 16 once and tried to rally an automatic civic, it got hung up on a shift around a turn because it wouldent switch gears and I ended up rolling it because the wheels were trying to accelerate when I didnt need them to, ATXs get messed up on dirt because theres less traction, its always spinning out and thinking the car is progressing on upshifts when you really arent going faster, your wheels are just spinning, they suck on dirt

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm with euro

I tried to rally a CRX ATX and ended up on my side. Autos are extremely bad at adjusting to "loose" traction areas. You have no way to "learn" how to drive an auto rally style. It's an impossibility. But do what you gotta do, you sound like you will any way. Good luck

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sucks you rolled your civic and crx. Although I am sure there were some extenuating circumstances to your roll. I have drifted on pavement alot (reason I need new tires)..so I am pretty confident the car will be less likely to roll in a low-traction environment...unless I suddenly caught traction. None the less, I am going down country roads dude...not the backroads of sweden...and the right tire will provide me with decent traction. I know I'll need a new car when I plan to tackle the true off-road stuff. That will come in 2 years...after the Oneil Rally School [thumb] But hey I want to find out the hard way. So if you can help..offer some advice on tire selection...I would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
875 Posts
RallyNinja: I have no idea how these guys are rolling cars simply because of the transmission that's in it -- it sounds like lack of talent instead of lack of good equipment. It is very possible to drift an ATX car successfully. Sure there are different techniques, but it's certainly possible.

As far as your question, the best advice when picking a tire is to find someone who's fast and use what they use. Trial and error with tires can be expensive, esp. if you pick crappy ones to start out with. There are many SCCA/RallyCross forums out there, I donno if sccaforums.com covers Rally, but you'll find SO much information there about tire choice, technique, etc. Good luck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
THANK YOU! I knew there had to be people out there who were willing to help me! [8D]

Quick question..b/c I am running on stock rims/stock everything (for now)..what tire size should I get?

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Nope. Those are 16s. 15s came in 2 styles, 10 spoke and 16 spoke. 16s came in 2 styles as well, those 6 spoke, and the newer 5 spokes. (if you can call them spokes on either)

From that site, looks like your only options will be a snow tire or a tarmac tire.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well im sorta knew to the tire purchasing market...what dimensions (width etc) would I need? I plan on e-mailing the 1st site you gave me..just want to have all the info I can to give to them

origional tires were 205/50 - 16?

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
If you plan on using those wheels you linked, I can't find a tire to fit.

The first number is the width of the tire in mm. The second number is the aspect ratio. Its the height of the sidewall based on the percentage of the width. The last number is the diameter of the wheel. Needless to say, I can't find any 16" rally tires.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Not sure how that would do as a dirt tire, and its a tad wide, so it might not fit. Stock, we run a 205, and 215s can be squeezed on barely.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Try calling Tire Rack, and explaining what you are looking for, and they should be able to point you in the right direction.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts