Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Figure out that road tires don't like off road very much, put a pretty big gash in a tire on trails a couple weekends ago. I also decided to cut out another half coil as the back of the car seemed to still have a little too much preload. The ride is much better, and the car sits even more level, less of the raked hatchback look.

Attachments

·
Registered
336 Posts
Figure out that road tires don't like off road very much, put a pretty big gash in a tire on trails a couple weekends ago. I also decided to cut out another half coil as the back of the car seemed to still have a little too much preload. The ride is much better, and the car sits even more level, less of the raked hatchback look.
Yeah, I ended up cutting 3 coils off my wagon springs to get it where I wanted. I also have 1/2" of lift from the spindle offset plates I made. (moves wheel back 1" also)

I've been eyeballing these Yok's. Smallest AT tire I can find in 16"
https://www.discounttire.com/fitmentresult/tires/size/215-60-16?q=:price-asc:tireCategory:allTerrainTires&sort=price-asc&page=0

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I think I'm at 2.75-3 coils off the wagon springs too, I started at a little more than theNorm, so we are in the same ballpark Dave. You'll have to keep me updated on how that 1" wheel back movement works because that is something that bugs me too. Could possibly get a 60-65 sidewall under the car then depending on what fits with the front. Are you making your parts on a CNC or manually?

Yeah, I ended up cutting 3 coils off my wagon springs to get it where I wanted. I also have 1/2" of lift from the spindle offset plates I made. (moves wheel back 1" also)

I've been eyeballing these Yok's. Smallest AT tire I can find in 16"
https://www.discounttire.com/fitmentresult/tires/size/215-60-16?q=:price-asc:tireCategory:allTerrainTires&sort=price-asc&page=0

·
Registered
336 Posts
I think I'm at 2.75-3 coils off the wagon springs too, I started at a little more than theNorm, so we are in the same ballpark Dave. You'll have to keep me updated on how that 1" wheel back movement works because that is something that bugs me too. Could possibly get a 60-65 sidewall under the car then depending on what fits with the front. Are you making your parts on a CNC or manually?
The rear offset plates I made are working great. Fits 215/60-16 no problem.
I could really use some 4.06 gears though LOL.

How does the front ride for you? I also copied the norms setup in the front at first, but didn't like it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The rear offset plates I made are working great. Fits 215/60-16 no problem.
I could really use some 4.06 gears though LOL.

How does the front ride for you? I also copied the norms setup in the front at first, but didn't like it.
Yeah gearing is for sure the problem lol... they were dogs off the start to begin with even before big tires (I bet its worse with a zx3). I thought about a mild turbo setup just for that reason, although I need an LSD first, and then would probably be best switching the final drive while I'm in there at that point. I don't have a problem with the front at all, mine does really good, but I have not done tons of rough stuff with it really (probably a good thing else id have alot of money into tires..) I was really particular when I made my front preload block though, everything was a press fit so there is no play or rattling. I bet there is a better setup out there but it works. What is your setup you're using instead of it right now?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yeah gearing is for sure the problem lol... they were dogs off the start to begin with even before big tires (I bet its worse with a zx3). I thought about a mild turbo setup just for that reason, although I need an LSD first, and then would probably be best switching the final drive while I'm in there at that point. I don't have a problem with the front at all, mine does really good, but I have not done tons of rough stuff with it really (probably a good thing else id have alot of money into tires..) I was really particular when I made my front preload block though, everything was a press fit so there is no play or rattling. I bet there is a better setup out there but it works. What is your setup you're using instead of it right now?
With the norm style spacers and ZX3 springs I only had about 1-5/8" droop travel. Would top-out the suspension too easily and clunk hard when it did it.

Look through my thread and see what I am doing for front coilovers. I have 2.5-3" of droop now and rides awesome with the 175lb springs

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
With the norm style spacers and ZX3 springs I only had about 1-5/8" droop travel. Would top-out the suspension too easily and clunk hard when it did it.

Look through my thread and see what I am doing for front coilovers. I have 2.5-3" of droop now and rides awesome with the 175lb springs
Ok, haven't had that problem on the front, but that is what my rear was doing BAD. The half coil I just cut out made all the difference and I have not droop travel bottoming any more that I have felt.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

After just looking thru your thread, I may have to do something similar too, I've been trying to find coilovers to do something similar in the front, but they are no existent for this car even for the front. Didn't even think about using stock struts like that, and then just add the "lifting" block to gain more usable front travel actually. honestly, my rear could use something similar to facilitate more travel, would just have to build a way to block up the strut back there a bit too. Would love to have some more room to get the bigger tires in there!

·
Registered
336 Posts
After just looking thru your thread, I may have to do something similar too, I've been trying to find coilovers to do something similar in the front, but they are no existent for this car even for the front. Didn't even think about using stock struts like that, and then just add the "lifting" block to gain more usable front travel actually. honestly, my rear could use something similar to facilitate more travel, would just have to build a way to block up the strut back there a bit too. Would love to have some more room to get the bigger tires in there!
It was the best I could come up with since there isn't anything that is both good and cheap LOL.

I still need to finalize the front coilovers. Hope to get back to working on that this weekend.
I have some ideas for the rear too. Limiting factor is the stroke of the rear shock currently.

PS, I made extras of all the machined parts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
It was the best I could come up with since there isn't anything that is bod good and cheap LOL.

I still need to finalize the front coilovers. Hope to get back to working on that this weekend.
I have some ideas for the rear too. Limiting factor is the stroke of the rear shock currently.

PS, I made extras of all the machined parts
Good to know, I've got a full machine shop at my disposal to, so if you didn't all I need is a rough sketch maybe in the process we can get a really bulletproof road/rally setup done, as my car is pretty much a daily too so it does need to ride decent.

·
Registered
4 Posts
is there a reason why everyone uses the wagon rear spring and then cut half of it away, instead of just using the zx3 spring front and back?

·
Registered
336 Posts
is there a reason why everyone uses the wagon rear spring and then cut half of it away, instead of just using the zx3 spring front and back?
Wagon springs are longer and stiffer. Cutting off some coils makes them stiffer yet.
ZX3 springs are too soft for any kind of hard use ( 126 lb/in)

These are the springs I use. ( 166 lb/in)
MOOG # CC881 (WAGON REAR - PROGRESSIVE RATE)

Then after cutting off 3 coils, the rate ends up somewhere around ~225 lb/in and still lifts the car 1-1.5" higher than stock ZX3 height.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts