Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this was posted before but i couldnt find it anywhere. First of all will the set of flaps designed for the st fit on the regular se hatch. Also, why are there some sets of flaps out there for $30 dollars then the next post on ebay there is what appears to be the same set for over $100. Why is this. I really want to get these. I think they set the car off and give it a wider looking stance. Any and all info would be appreciated or if anyone has pictures if they have done this before. i would love to get a set with predrilled holes that would work because i hate having to measure a bunch of stuff because I am real anal about things like that. I will spend 3 hours just making sure they are perfect and if they arent it will bug the living hell out of me. Sorry for the long post about a simple question.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RALLY-ARMOR...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4acf8399fe&vxp=mtr
these are the flaps i was looking at.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rally-Armor...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a41fe699c&vxp=mtr
universal flaps for $30

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rally-Armor...Parts_Accessories&hash=item33968ef772&vxp=mtr
universal for over $100

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Rally Armor has non-ST mud flaps.

The first ones are urethane, pre cut and fitted to the car and include all mounting hardware.
The second ones are universal and plastic.
The third ones are universal and urethane.

For the universals you have to fit them yourself and figure out your own hardware.

And get them from Rally Armor. The links you posted are over priced. eBay doesn't always mean better prices.

·
I Like Red
3,245 Posts
Tire Rack has the basic universal Rally Armors for $15 + shipping... Just fyi. I have an install thread for them on here if you want an idea on how to mount them and what hardware to use. Its on a svt but you can get the idea... I am also super anal about things being "perfect" too... I feel ya.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Assuming the mounting parts are the same between rally armor and gorilla, I'm inclined to think it should fit just fine. I have gorilla flaps on my SE; no fitment issues.

·
Registered
45 Posts

25 bucks direct from rally armor. Pain to install because they are universal, but the look is awesome in my eyes. Just have patience

·
Registered
505 Posts

25 bucks direct from rally armor. Pain to install because they are universal, but the look is awesome in my eyes. Just have patience
you have a list of hardware that you used?

·
Registered
45 Posts

I used two 2 and a half inch screws, two 1 inch self tapping screws, and about an inch and a half of vinyl tubing for the back two. Don't ask why the vinyl tubing, sounded good in the moment to fill the gap between the carpet and the flap. and just go over the screw haha.
Then for the front I used eight total self tapping half inch screws (yes I know i used two different kind of screws). Quarter inch diameter for the front ones. And i sprayed the screws all black so they wouldn't stick out as much. Lemme know if you guys have any other questions!

·
Registered
505 Posts
thanks. think im going to order a set soon.

·
I Like Red
3,245 Posts
I recomend using u nuts. It is the most secure way to mount the flaps. They will clip on to the bumper and fender liner and you drill your holes and bolt right into the clips. I have a install thread with a template on here if you want to see what I mean.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Link?

·
Registered
505 Posts
[thumb][thumb][driving]

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I bought some universals last week from tire rack. Just under $25 with shipping. I haven't put them on yet because I haven't had time but I'm anal too and over think everything.

I know this shouldn't be so hard and I got some advice from another member on here for how to install them but I'm still not sure how to make a template...or if I even have to.

jaguilar20 for the front flaps did you just drive the self tapping screws right through the flaps into the body without drilling the flaps and using the 3 existing holes in the wheel well?

FYI I bought some vinyl tubing for the back spacers too haha. I think I can get the backs fine but if anyone has advice on those let me know.

·
I Like Red
3,245 Posts
^ There is a template in my install thread. It is easier than it looks, trust me. Click the link I posted and go through it, its in there.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
^ There is a template in my install thread. It is easier than it looks, trust me. Click the link I posted and go through it, its in there.
I saw that template....You have a mk1 though mine's a mk3 do the holes line up?

·
I Like Red
3,245 Posts
It will most likely be fairly close. Just use it as a guide and change it as needed. Honestly all you have to do is get one flap mounted how you want it on the car then take it off and use the flap itself as a template for the others. The front might require the flaps up higher and in that case just scoot the holes down but use the same flap as the template to make the holes. As long as you get the first one good and how you want it, the rest is a piece of cake. This will ensure all sides are equal, your OCD can rest peacefully. Im the worst when it comes to things being perfect.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
It will most likely be fairly close. Just use it as a guide and change it as needed. Honestly all you have to do is get one flap mounted how you want it on the car then take it off and use the flap itself as a template for the others. The front might require the flaps up higher and in that case just scoot the holes down but use the same flap as the template to make the holes. As long as you get the first one good and how you want it, the rest is a piece of cake. This will ensure all sides are equal, your OCD can rest peacefully. Im the worst when it comes to things being perfect.
Cool I will stop over thinking it. Hopefully I'll have some time tomorrow after work to do it. If not it might not be until Sunday afternoon.

Thanks man!

·
I Like Red
3,245 Posts
No prob bro. Once you get it there and start going you will see its not too bad. Make sure you flip the template (first flap) when doing the other side, you want a mirror image for the opposite sides. Good luck, dont stress over it and just have fun with it. The end result will make it all worth while.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I bought some universals last week from tire rack. Just under $25 with shipping. I haven't put them on yet because I haven't had time but I'm anal too and over think everything.

I know this shouldn't be so hard and I got some advice from another member on here for how to install them but I'm still not sure how to make a template...or if I even have to.

jaguilar20 for the front flaps did you just drive the self tapping screws right through the flaps into the body without drilling the flaps and using the 3 existing holes in the wheel well?

FYI I bought some vinyl tubing for the back spacers too haha. I think I can get the backs fine but if anyone has advice on those let me know.
I pre drilled small holes in the flaps. First lined them up where I wanted and then used a thumb tack to make a tiny mark where I wanted to drill. Haha the vinyl tubing is still holding up perfectly after 7000 miles. so we both had a good idea.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts