Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say I was to get a new head and was to raise the compression to 10:8:1. Would I still be able to turbo it? Or should i got the N/A route?

Thanks
shawn

·
AKA Toyotech
4,041 Posts
for that high of compression...go low boost or n/a.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so if i was to get the precision or toms kit just stay at the boost that they install it with. If the head was already at 10:5:1 would I beable to drop it down in order to run boost?

·
AKA Toyotech
4,041 Posts
yea, thicker head gasket.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would I need to get one custom made? If so who would be a person to ask for this job?
thanks for the help

·
Registered
341 Posts
you need to first start reading some engine books. thats your 1st step

-Ult

·
Registered
20 Posts
What? a different head does not affect compression. If you wanted higher compression, you would need different pistions or a stroker kit which is not what you want if you want to go with a turbocharger.

Engine books?

·
AKA Toyotech
4,041 Posts
udo said:
What? a different head does not affect compression. If you wanted higher compression, you would need different pistions or a stroker kit which is not what you want if you want to go with a turbocharger.

Engine books?
...you don't need pistons to change the compression...a stroker kit wouldn't make a difference...he would just need to deck (shave, mill) the head...i think you need those engine books too.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Does anyone know anything about cars? I mean its like a handful of people who have any kind of knowledge around here, whats up with that? Parents growin stupid now adays or what?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Parents growin stupid now adays or what?
Heck no. I know the best way to raise compreshon is to squirt some epoxy down the spark plug holes. It hardens on top of the pistons, and raises compreshon. If you tun the engine over before it hardens, the valves leave an indention for a custom fit. VEEEEERRRRY trick[:eek:)]

·
Registered
74 Posts
Altering the head or putting on an aftermarket head can definately change the compression (and that goes both ways too... increasing or decreasing compression). That being said, someone please respond to my posted topic 'Ford Racing Head Questions'... I need to know if using the FR Head will alter my CR. Gracias.

·
Registered
341 Posts
i answered your compression question in your thread. unless you want chamber work its stock.

-Ult

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
i wouldnt run any boost on that high of compression without new rods at least. u could def hurt your engine. if u are serious about going to turbo get 8.5:1, forged rods, and boost the hell out of her. there really isnt a good happy medium on high compression with boost without spending too much money for it to be worth it. our stock compression is probably the highest u would want to go with any decent amount of boost.

·
Registered
41 Posts
High boost and high comp. don't mix. Detonation, pre-ignition whatever you want to call it is bad. With tuning you might be able to get away with it, but the timing will most likely be so retarded that it will offset that gains from raised compression. It is a delicate balance. You can drop down to 8.5:1, run huge boost and you will have no low end. Run 10:1, and you'll have a snappy bottom end but will be limited on how much boost you can dial in. Like some have already said stock is a good compromise for a daily driver.

·
Registered
712 Posts
You can run 15# of boost with 10.1 compression, I say go for it.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
stock he is at 9.5:1 raising it .6 wouldnt be worth the cash, if he were to spend the money to deck the head a tiny bit and get rods he might as well spend the money on low comp pistons and rods and run even bigger boost.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts