Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after getting fed up with how crappy my windshield has looked and how badly the OEM wipers and fluid on my 2012 titanium don't clean bugs off at all I decided to order a pair of Trico NeoForm blades and this:
http://www.amazon.com/RAIN-X-WASHER-FLUID-ADDITIVE-16-9-OZ/dp/B000BPTVTK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1334447585&sr=8-4

From what I assume, you add it into the washer fluid and it's basically the same thing as their windshield coat but sprays on when you use the washer.

It's not listed on their website (the Rain-X one) and this kind of concerns me. Has anyone tried this before? How exactly does it work and how was your experience with it?

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
i use sealant on my windshield, as well as the paint, glass, trim, etc etc, so i never even consider using any type of rain-x

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I LOVE Rain-X.
The stuff you put in the windshield washer fluid does not do a good job.
The windshield needs a solid coating of the full strength fluid.. several times before it really will stay on in a rainstorm.
When I first put it on, a rain would wash it off and the wipers would do that strange 'dance'.
But now I have applied it several times, the stuff seems to really stay on and I do not have to reapply in the rain.
So from a true Dihard RainX user, go for the applicator bottle. The stuff in the windshield washer does not really work very well.
(Plus it then is sprayed all over your car roof too... [bigcry]

·
Registered
173 Posts
I am currently using the product you are using, and after several uses of the wipers I find that it is effective. I have used Rain-X that you apply directly to the windshield in the past and find now I only directly apply the Rain-X to the side windows. As far a the wiper chatter that you may experience i am currently using some blades called "Silblades" (amazon.com) that have virtually eliminated the "chatter".
From what I assume, you add it into the washer fluid and it's basically the same thing as their windshield coat but sprays on when you use the washer. I would recommend that you empty the washer resivor before you put in the appropriate amount of Rain-X fluid, and then fill w/ distilled water.

·
Banned
8,043 Posts
Man if it's made of the same stuff that rain-x is, I don't think I'd want that spraying on my car uncontrollably.

Rain-X contains silicone and you really don't want that on your paint. It bonds with the paint and is damn near impossible to remove...

FWIW, my sprayers rarely get used. I figure if my windshield is dirty enough to give them a spritz, the whole car needs washing and then I do that...

·
R.I.P Kona
12,868 Posts
The concentration in the small bottles is all I use. It also says to not get it on the paint. Tried the stuff you put in the washer tank and it was only a little better than using regular washer fluid. So I went back to using the concentrate only on all windows cuz it works the best hands down.

·
Banned
8,043 Posts
For god's sake don't get it on the paint.

1. It contains a lot of alcohol so it'll strip any wax or sealant you have on there in a matter of seconds.
2. It contains silicons which are really crappy for paint.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, after hearing what you guys said and being scared of getting it on my paint I cancelled my order for the additive. The wiper blades I ordered didn't get full contact on my windshield either :(

Guess its a trip to pep boys today for new stuff!

Thanks for the info everyone!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts