Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I move the wiper control up 2 positions for the low setting and 3 for high-speed. I also know that I can control the rain-sensing wipers with the intermittent wipe. My question is -- how do I turn off the rain-sensing wipers? (For the car wash, for example). Thanks!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
You have to push the wiper control stick to the lower position (in the vertical plan). And that's it.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
^^^ this. the bottom setting where you can only move it down to swipe manually is the off setting, the wipers wont activate

·
Registered
179 Posts
I know I move the wiper control up 2 positions for the low setting and 3 for high-speed. I also know that I can control the rain-sensing wipers with the intermittent wipe. My question is -- how do I turn off the rain-sensing wipers? (For the car wash, for example). Thanks!
It's all spelled out in the "owners manual", go figure![;)]

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have noticed that the rain sensing wipers are very irratic on my 2012 Focus Titanium. THey will appear to work fine for awhile (i..e they keep the window clean by storking when there is a reasonable amount of rain on it). Howvere, after a few minutes they will pause while the window gets fully covered, almost to the point of not being able to see at all, then they just start again and work fine for awhile.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have noticed that the rain sensing wipers are very irratic on my 2012 Focus Titanium. THey will appear to work fine for awhile (i..e they keep the window clean by storking when there is a reasonable amount of rain on it). Howvere, after a few minutes they will pause while the window gets fully covered, almost to the point of not being able to see at all, then they just start again and work fine for awhile.

Any thoughts?
Maybe a defective sensor, or perhaps your windscreen is overly dirty? Next time you're at the dealer for something else, I would mention it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My Mazda 5's rain sensing wipers work erratically a quarter of the time, I still prefer it to manual wipers.

Can you adjust the sensitivity of the sensors?

·
Registered
254 Posts

Any thoughts?
Have you tried adjusting the sensitivity? It's the rolling switch thing on the wiper stalk.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Rain sensing wipers suck flat out, I have them and I hate them. When I need them to wipe, they "rest back down" and I have to click them on. I don't care about them I just prefer my old manual settings because you knew the intervals, and they would work on cue. lol.

·
Registered
772 Posts

Any thoughts?
Same with mine, I have been complaing to Ford since I got the car in April. Terrible rain sensing programming, changing the sensitivity just makes them more irratic. Then sometimes they will turn off and you can't see anything.

Confimed the same operation on other Focus, and one as current built in October. So they have done noting to fix this issue.

Very distracting and dangerous. It's frustrating when you get in an Edge, Fusion or Explorer and they work like they should.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I kind of find the whole idea funny. I usually can sense when there is rain on the windshield and turn the wipers on then. I have been 'bump' wiping my windshield for years. I set the wipers to the speed I want then if I need more I bump the lever and whala! the wiper does a swipe! I do have the rain sensing wipers on my car by the way and same story, most times it works fine but when it is slow on the draw I bump the lever and I'm good to go!

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I kind of find the whole idea funny. I usually can sense when there is rain on the windshield and turn the wipers on then. I have been 'bump' wiping my windshield for years. I set the wipers to the speed I want then if I need more I bump the lever and whala! the wiper does a swipe! I do have the rain sensing wipers on my car by the way and same story, most times it works fine but when it is slow on the draw I bump the lever and I'm good to go!
I agree. I don’t think they’re perfect for the soft misting type of rain – it’s like it’ll sense no rain, go into some standby, then be like “Holy crap! Look at all of this rain – I better get to work.” Then wipe like it’s nobody’s business. After I RainXed all my windows/mirrors, I don't even have to use them at speeds over 55mph – but when I do I just do the manual *push down*. But the RainX seemed to help – for me at least.

·
Registered
772 Posts
They are nice on other vehicles where they work correctly. You leave them in auto all the time, and when it starts raining they come on, when it stops they turn off. As rain conditions change, or a semi blows by and kicks up more water, they respond instantly instead of you taking your hands off the wheel. You don't have to constatnly change the delay timer all the time in light rain.

That's if they work right.

On this car you can't even leave them in auto and turn off the car, because when you start the car up you will get a "dry wipe" which scratches the window.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yeah, the Focus rain sensing wipers are erratic to the point of being worthless, if not outright hazardous. I`m hoping there is a way to revert them to regular intermittent wipers, perhaps by disconnecting the sensor.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Without a doubt. This was one of my first dealership visit complaints... they said they worked as normal as compared to other Foci. My 3 year old Mazdaspeed 3 auto wipers worked flawlessly. Changing speed according to amount of water on the windshield, could leave them on and get out of the car, etc.

The Focus... well I give them a chance when it starts to rain and once they fail me, I pretend I'm Darth Vader, think to myself, "youve failed me for the last time" and turn them over to manual control.

For something that's part of the premium package... it's not too premium.

And, my Mazda had intermittent wipers AND the auto setting.

·
Registered
416 Posts

Imagine that Rogerschro...having to occasionally bump the wipers to clear window. How do you suffer through having to do that?

I too have to bump mine once every hour or two, just to supplement the timing. It's been more than I can take to be honest. <sarcasm noticable?>

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had nothing but complaints about my rain sensing wipers. The glass would get covered in water and no wipe. Then I cleaned my windshield with rain-x cleaner/repellent, and not only did the rainx help with visibility in general, it also made the wipers work reliably.

·
Registered
200 Posts
mine aren't bad depending on how the rain is, spitting/misting, light rain or heavy. Seems to work best somewhere in the middle. Other than that, i do fiddle with them a bit. But, so far, feels like most intermittent wipers I've used.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts