Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 focus with auto rain sensing wipers. Until now they have worked fine.

Now they are malfunctioning. As soon as I put the stalk into the auto position, the wipers wipe once at standard speed and then continuously at full speed without ever stopping until the stalk is placed in the off position.

This happens whether the windscreen is dry or wet. Playing with the frequency dial on the stalk does not change anything.

I've cleaned the windscreen and the sensor does not look dirty.

Anything else I can try? Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
314 Posts
If this happens again, try checking the sensor's plug. If you ever unplug the rain sensor the wipers will default to an intermittent style wiper, with the rain sensitivity adjustment being the delay. It's possible that connector is getting corroded and the system can't always read from the sensor and is causing weird behavior.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the advice. I assume the plug at the windscreen?

Interesting they have been playing up again today. Although the dial isn't having any affect to change the wipe frequency.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Check the battery negative terminal for acid build up... its seem this is a common cause with wipers problem on these car. Weird, heh?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If this happens again, try checking the sensor's plug. If you ever unplug the rain sensor the wipers will default to an intermittent style wiper, with the rain sensitivity adjustment being the delay. It's possible that connector is getting corroded and the system can't always read from the sensor and is causing weird behavior.
Retried the wipers today. They are acting as you describe. The sensing function has gone and the dial on the stalk now provides a varying amount of delay.

I'll take a look at the sensor plug. The battery negative terminal is good, I already checked that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts