Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About how long would it take a car to ship from Michigan to Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada?

My car got onto a rail car this AM and I want to estimate when I should take time off work this week.

·
Registered
788 Posts
About how long would it take a car to ship from Michigan to Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada?

My car got onto a rail car this AM and I want to estimate when I should take time off work this week.
Take time off next week. It took 7 days for my car to arrive from Detroit to Minneapolis. It took longer to get from Detroit to Chicago than from Chicago to Mpls. The final leg was on a CP train which travels to Winnipeg from here. Now that it's on the move, your dealer should be able to give you an ETA.

·
Registered
747 Posts
i really wouldn't do anything until it shows up. rail cars go in retarded routes and sometimes get delayed like mine did.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My current ETA is this fri sept 16...just not sure how accurate the ETA's tend to be.
It's also shipping CN so I think it's going through Canada over the great lakes, not the US.

·
Registered
548 Posts
A direct route from MI is 20 hours away. But who knows what kind of stops they're taking along the way.

And just because a train arrives friday, doubtful you'll be able to pick it up. Some one then has to load it on a trailer and haul it to your dealer, then they gotta prep it, and if it's over a weekend you can't get it insured. Expect it LATE monday or tuesday, I'd lean towards tuesday.

Idk about parkside, but landau is open til 9pm on monday and tuesday, so that increases your chance of them having it ready, and you might not need to take any time off work.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Insured? most insurance companies i know have a clause if you buy a new car it is automatically insured (if your old one was fully insured..).. you just have to notify them as soon as possible. And not neccessarily in advance.
At least this has always been my understanding.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A direct route from MI is 20 hours away. But who knows what kind of stops they're taking along the way.

And just because a train arrives friday, doubtful you'll be able to pick it up. Some one then has to load it on a trailer and haul it to your dealer, then they gotta prep it, and if it's over a weekend you can't get it insured. Expect it LATE monday or tuesday, I'd lean towards tuesday.

Idk about parkside, but landau is open til 9pm on monday and tuesday, so that increases your chance of them having it ready, and you might not need to take any time off work.
ETA does not mean when the rail car will arrive in Winnipeg. It is when it is supposed to arrive at the dealer's lot.

Also.......insurance places are open on every day of the week?

essex insurance in superstore's hours:

Portage Office

(map)

3193 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, MB R3K 0W4
Canada​

Phone: 897-7999
Fax: 897-8008

Hours:

09:00 AM - 09:00 PM Weekdays
09:00 AM - 06:00 PM Saturdays 12:00 PM - 05:30 PM Sundays

·
Registered
548 Posts
ETA of a rail car does indeed mean when the train arrives.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
ETA of a rail car does indeed mean when the train arrives.
Who told you that?

EDIT: Lemme guess...the same person that told you that you couldn't buy car insurance on weekends.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Pardon me for not knowing about the one insurance broker that's open on a sunday out of hundreds.

If your ETA is from the convoy truck that's dropping off your car the dealer, then yes. But if it's for a train, then unless your dealer is next to tracks....

Think of it this way, if you get an ETA at an airport, it's when the plane lands. Not when your luggage is unloaded and when your taxi can take you to your hotel. Two destinations, two ETAs.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pardon me for not knowing about the one insurance broker that's open on a sunday out of hundreds.

If your ETA is from the convoy truck that's dropping off your car the dealer, then yes. But if it's for a train, then unless your dealer is next to tracks....

Think of it this way, if you get an ETA at an airport, it's when the plane lands. Not when your luggage is unloaded and when your taxi can take you to your hotel. Two destinations, two ETAs.
You know this for a fact that this is the way Ford's tracking system works?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

P.S. I just walked past an insurance place that is open 12-5 on Saturday's..........I don't think it's uncommon.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have no idea how Fords ETA works, seems to be a shot on the dark. At least until they have something to base it on.

A trains ETA however I do know, it means when the train arrives.

·
Registered
788 Posts
What the hell is going on here? This thread started off about arrival times and has devolved into an argument over insurance. Why not call your current agent and inform him or her that you will be picking up a new car next week. Most if not all companies will cover the car until you can finalize the paperwork, mine did. If you don't currently have insurance, (I remember in a much earlier post you mentioned you current vehicle was dieing a slow death), you have the VIN, call an agent tomorrow to set up coverage. Justy, your car will we shipped by train to a holding yard where it will be scheduled to be loaded on a truck carrier and delivered to your dealership. Depending on how many vehicles are waiting to be loaded and trucked, it can take one to several days. Mine sat in Cottage Grove, MN for two days before it arrived at the dealer. Mine arrived on a Thursday, the dealer prepped in one day, it took two days to install the remote start and I picked it up on a Saturday. I know your anxious to get your new Focus, but don't argue with someone about something that's irrelevant.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Oh I already did an estimate with my insurance agent using the VIN. I need the final purchase price though to know how much to insure it for, I can get that in order while they prep the car. I'm not worried about that yet though, especially now that I know a place open on sundays!

·
Registered
201 Posts
The Ford ETA was off in my case; I got my car 4 days early. I also knew I was going to get the car early, because I used the railroad's tracking system to get their ETA for delivery to the depot, and then factored in a day or two to get the car from the depot to the dealer.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anyone know how to track CN rail shipments? I searched online but couldn't find anything.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Oh I already did an estimate with my insurance agent using the VIN. I need the final purchase price though to know how much to insure it for, I can get that in order while they prep the car. I'm not worried about that yet though, especially now that I know a place open on sundays!
You can't insure it in Manitoba until you have all the final paperwork from the dealer? And if you are trading in a vehicle, you can use your old plates for a week until going to the insurance agent for updating your file.

·
Registered
548 Posts
You can't insure it in Manitoba until you have all the final paperwork from the dealer? And if you are trading in a vehicle, you can use your old plates for a week until going to the insurance agent for updating your file.
Don't quote me, I've never insured a new vehicle. I don't have a current car or plates atm, recycled them, it's a new car I want shiny new plates to match. I see no point in insuring the car until I'm driving it. It costs you 5 bucks a day which would have ran me a pretty penny by now if I went and insured off just the VIN. The shipping company has insurance and the dealer has insurance. I don't need my own yet.

As for final paperwork, all I need is a dollar amount. With new car protection in case of an accident you get what exactly what you paid for the car, nothing more or less. So my estimate could be off by 5 bucks. Could I insure it temporarily without that? Probably. But why?

And this whole conversation is totally off topic at this point...

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
23 Posts
Don't quote me, I've never insured a new vehicle. I don't have a current car or plates atm, recycled them, it's a new car I want shiny new plates to match. I see no point in insuring the car until I'm driving it. It costs you 5 bucks a day which would have ran me a pretty penny by now if I went and insured off just the VIN. The shipping company has insurance and the dealer has insurance. I don't need my own yet.

As for final paperwork, all I need is a dollar amount. With new car protection in case of an accident you get what exactly what you paid for the car, nothing more or less. So my estimate could be off by 5 bucks. Could I insure it temporarily without that? Probably. But why?

And this whole conversation is totally off topic at this point...

Posted via FF Mobile
At the insurance agent you will need paperwork from the dealer before you can insure it and why do it before you have the car? The only choices you have are deductible amount, and 3rd party insurance amount. New car protection is for two years only.

Now back to the actual thread ...

CN allows pick up at their own schedule for allowing truckers in to pick up anything by rail. Your dealer will get a time slot, and that is the only time that they can pick up at CN. The dealer should be able to track the CN train.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts