Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my wife for lab work early one morning and was waiting in the parking lot and it was a nice out, so I just put the windows down, turned off the car and put the key into ACC mode so I could just listen to the radio while I waited. Less than 2 minutes later, it all just shut off and I got a message stating "Low Battery Audio Off" .Took the key out and just waited for my wife hoping that the car would start and it did.
Then today 10/27/13 we went to Stater Bros. around 8:30 AM and again I waited in the car turned the ignition off turned the radio on played for couple of minutes then shut off . Inserted the key and turned the key into ACC mode, but the radio would not come on, so turned the off. When wife came and the car started up and we went home.
The book states that the radio will play for 1 hour after you shut the engine off , that’s if you don’t shut it off. That’s not the case with this radio it shut off after a couple of minutes.
Need help , hope someone has a solution

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
My radio shuts off after about seven minutes. if the car is not running.
I would think it is an adjustable software setting.
I have never forced the radio to play longer.. so I have no idea what is normal for that scenario.

·
Adam
2,303 Posts
With the key out, you can press the volume button and then it plays for the hour, and if it's before then, you can press it again to turn it off. Though, I've had no trouble in accessory mode,

I found that out once after taking the key out and wanting to quiet the radio down.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I think the ACC mode of the key go's into battery saving mode after about 10-15min(can't remember), so with the key in and set to ACC it will intervene to "save" your battery. Yes, key off and hit the power (volume) button on the radio is supposed to run for an hr, assuming you don't open the doors or anything. 2 Min seems awfully short for the Batt saver to kick in.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I can have the radio on with no key listen to a movie at a drive in movie theatre for almost 2 hours then ill get the low battery thing. Then turn the car on and let it run for 10 minutes and do it over again.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I took my wife for lab work early one morning and was waiting in the parking lot and it was a nice out, so I just put the windows down, turned off the car and put the key into ACC mode so I could just listen to the radio while I waited. Less than 2 minutes later, it all just shut off and I got a message stating "Low Battery Audio Off" .Took the key out and just waited for my wife hoping that the car would start and it did.
Then today 10/27/13 we went to Stater Bros. around 8:30 AM and again I waited in the car turned the ignition off turned the radio on played for couple of minutes then shut off . Inserted the key and turned the key into ACC mode, but the radio would not come on, so turned the off. When wife came and the car started up and we went home.
The book states that the radio will play for 1 hour after you shut the engine off , that’s if you don’t shut it off. That’s not the case with this radio it shut off after a couple of minutes.
Need help , hope someone has a solution
Hi, toyforme,

Did you have anything plugged in the USB port like your phone to charge it or a media device? If so, it could be pulling too much power and cause the "Low Battery" warning to appear and your radio to shut off. However, if you don't have anything plugged in, I suggest a trip to your dealership so they can run diagnostics on your car. Keep me posted!

Rebecca

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
update

The Ford dealer hasn't a clue as what to do about the radio shutting it self off after 2minutes or less. Sent email to Ford Motor Company about this problem asking for their help, no reply as yet.
I for some reason believe that it is a software problem and one reason is that Ford has had lots of problems with the software on many different parts of the car.

Still need help to correct this problem...[wrenchin]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ford Rep. got with the Ford dealer and after checking the Battery and etc. installed a new Battery and system reset. So far everything is working great. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hate to say it, but I think mine is pretty much doing the same thing. Except mine started out like ten minutes the first couple of times, now it's a couple of minutes, also it's not showing any messages, just goes off. Made an appointment for Monday morning, now I'm going to be thinking about this all weekend. lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Still having Radio problems

After changing the battery 0n 01/16/2014 everything was ok until 04/19/2014 the car would not start, dead battery. Had to have roadside service jump the car & haul it to the dealer. Cause & Action taken by the dealer "Battery was 50-EEC battery low charge. Car is driven less than 3,000 miles per year.
Over the years we have had several new cars & never have had this kind of problem. Have read the manual from cover to cover and no where can we find where it states you have to drive X number of miles per year to eliminate battery problems.
Now the Radio is acting the same way it did before the battery was changed. After being on for 2 or 3 minutes it would shut off and show "Battery Low" in center screen.
One doesn't really know if the dealer really replaced the battery or if they spent the time to find just what the problem is, or if a certified mechanic checked for the problem. The above makes you wonder.
If anyone with a solution or suggestion would be appreciated.

toyforme

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Second Dealer visit sounds like it only resulted in a battery charge & prob. a key off drain check.

I often leave my older one for a while between uses, and low miles when used, so unplugging accessories is important for me when leaving it untouched for a week at a time.

Newer cars use more electricity when parked than ever before, if you tend to do a lot of short trips when it's in use the battery will seldom get charged up & could get very low over time. That's always been the case, just worse than ever now between needing more power to work right & using more when parked.

Seen a fair number of batteries replaced in the current versions (more than usual) so one replacement isn't a big surprise.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You have a point, however we don't let it set for long period of time & never go out at night were we use the lights. Only listen to the radio, turn the blower on when needed for heat or air condition. Don't plug in anything that would run the battery down. We have always combined our use to save on gas & wear & tear on the car. How about Cabs or fleet autos that make stops and starts all the time, maybe that's the kind of battery that should be installed in cars.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
It really shouldn't be a problem outside of exceptionally unusual use, I was just throwing out ideas in case any might fit your situation.

Cab/fleet doesn't apply, they get plenty of miles on them in normal use.

Another visit to have it checked more thoroughly might be in order, really should have both the max. alternator output checked as well as static drain. Don't know if either was done on your last visit from what you mentioned.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
If the car is running, all things electrical in the vehicle are powered by the alternator. The battery simply filters ripple at that point. But that aside, if the battery had enough juice to start the car, then it's got more than enough for anything else. The radio pulls a miniscule amount of power in comparison to starting the car. Probably 30:1.

While it is certainly true you should disconnect the battery if you don't plan to use the vehicle for extended periods, that period is pretty long. A month minimum without use IMO. I actually left my battery connected, went on a deployment for 6 months, came back and she fired right up. So take that for what you will. Unless you have a parasitic drain of some kind, the battery should last quite awhile without being used. On that note, a test for parasitic draw should have been done long ago.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the suggestions. Firebirdude, I do believe your suggest would solve the problem. However my experience with car dealerships for the most part are only interested in selling cars not spending the time to solve a problem. Like battery problems they just keep recharging the battery till your warranty expires then spend the time to find the problem. Will try again to see if the dealer will really spend the time to find the problem, but I don't have faith in what ever they come up with at this point.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. Firebirdude, I do believe your suggest would solve the problem. However my experience with car dealerships for the most part are only interested in selling cars not spending the time to solve a problem. Like battery problems they just keep recharging the battery till your warranty expires then spend the time to find the problem. Will try again to see if the dealer will really spend the time to find the problem, but I don't have faith in what ever they come up with at this point.
When you have an appointment set up, please let me know. :)

Meagan

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, when I make the appointment with the dealer I will post the information. Have some more research that we are doing before we make the appointment.
Thanks for your help

toyforme

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Yes, when I make the appointment with the dealer I will post the information. Have some more research that we are doing before we make the appointment.
Thanks for your help

toyforme
Sounds good, I'll keep an eye out. :)

Meagan

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
OP on page 1 said "I can have the radio on with no key listen to a movie at a drive in movie theatre for almost 2 hours then ill get the low battery thing. Then turn the car on and let it run for 10 minutes and do it over again."

Drive in movie theatre ? You're kidding. You still have those ?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts