Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Radio/Heater control bezel paint ?

How can I take the radio/heater bezel off .I want to paint it but can'nt get it off.Also does anyone know where I can get a Euro rear wiper for a 02 ZX3?
Ramie

·
Registered
875 Posts
Here's how I took my bezel off.

1. Use a DIN removal tool to take out the stereo. You can also bend a coat hanger into two "U" shaped handles and insert the tips in the holes on the head unit. Then you pull them apart from each other and pull the stereo straight out. However, I recommend buying the DIN removal tool from Autozone or Advance Auto Parts for about 3 dollars. It's a lot more efficient and it won't fly out and scratch your dash like the coat hangers might. Basically, it's two sturdy U-shaped pieces of metal with tiny balls on the tips to pull the stereo out.

2. Once the stereo has been removed, unplug every cable from the back of it so you can totally remove it from the dash and set it aside.

3. There will be 4 bolts where the radio was. Use a ratchet or wrench to remove these bolts.

4. Once the bolts have been removed, carefully pull on the radio surround bezel. Three clips on the back of it will pop loose (two on top, one on bottom) and you should be able to freely pull it out from the dash.

5. Once the bezel is free, it will still be held to the car by all the items screwed into the back (A/C controls, emergency flasher button, cigarette lighter, etc.) You can unplug all of these wires from the back of the bezel and it will be freed from the dash. However, I had trouble getting some of them to unplug so I ended up unscrewing them from the back of the bezel with a short Philips head screwdriver. That way, I could remove the bezel and leave all the controls still plugged into the car. It's a BITCH at times, but you'll get it out eventually.

6. You may have trouble pulling the bezel out once everything is unplugged/unscrewed from it. The ash tray has a metal piece attached to it that keeps it from pulling out of the dash. You may have to use some force to pull the ashtray out of the dash. I pulled very hard and heard a huge crack. Luckily, no damage was done, it was just the sound of the metal clip coming off and allowing the bezel to be fully removed.

7. One the bezel is fully out of the car, you can remove the ash tray by popping off the cover that goes over the top of the drawer. Once this cover is off, the drawer will slide right out.

8. Paint it!

As for the Euro wiper question, just go to your local Mazda dealer and pick up the wiper assembly for a Mazda 3. It is identical to the Euro Focus wiper and is a perfect fit.

Hope this helps! That dash is a pain in the ass but it's definitely worth the work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts