Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
again if all we know that paste was thick and added pressure to a part which may of had a cold solder joint or the opening up and movement of the boards and connectors may of sat and reconnected a bad spot.. until i can get one i cant tell =/ i need an unmolested one so i can power it up in its current enclosure to see what signals im getting out and possibly what, is it a audio crossover is it a failed mosfet or inverter, was it tin whiskers where it bridges between pins.. =(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Others having this issues? All I have to do to fix is turn the car off and back on again but still annoying.
Yes, I had this issue with my 2013 when I bought it used in 2016. I replaced the radio with a used one from eBay, which solved the issue for the past 3 years of daily driving. That being said, it just happened again yesterday evening.

When this occurs, a 'pop' is heard, followed by no sound. All displays, buttons, voice commands, etc appear to be working, but no sound. Turning the car off, then on, gets it going again.

With the previous radio, the issue got progressively worse... Sometimes I didn't even make it out of the driveway before the amplifier cut-out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was experiencing this same issue on my 2013 focus se, and I found the solution to my problem:

I removed the 2 screws holding the center radio cover on, after removing that I then unscrewed the 2 screws holding the CD player in place.
After having the CD player out I unplugged the 3 harnesses on the back.

My problem was the second I unlocked my car or even just turned the car on the radio would make loud terrible noises before cutting all sound to the radio and making it not work.

So I tried to investigate between the 2 power harnesses and see if one of the positive wires were grounding out, while having power to the harness I took a voltmeter set to continuity and tested each on the pins, I had a wire grounding out.

Before I plan to really fix the issue I just pulled the pin, I don’t have power going to one of the speakers to the back seat but now my radio works and I just changed the settings to fade to only front speakers.

This may not be anyone else’s “fix” but was just a hopeful insight to anyone else’s issues, I’m not responsible to any damage anyone does to their car or if they hurt themselves!! I also used wire diagram to figure which ones to test.
Please be careful and again,

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yes, I had this issue with my 2013 when I bought it used in 2016. I replaced the radio with a used one from eBay, which solved the issue for the past 3 years of daily driving. That being said, it just happened again yesterday evening.

When this occurs, a 'pop' is heard, followed by no sound. All displays, buttons, voice commands, etc appear to be working, but no sound. Turning the car off, then on, gets it going again.

With the previous radio, the issue got progressively worse... Sometimes I didn't even make it out of the driveway before the amplifier cut-out.
My exact scenario!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Update: Replacing the 2 amplifier chips within the radio/CD module (part #s Philips / NXP 70009AR & 70886FB) did NOT resolve the problem.

The dilemma is that buying a used radio is a crap-shoot. A short bench test performed by the seller probably wouldn't reveal the problem, since it is so random & intermittent.

And... if the root cause is due to a design defect (rather than a failed component), buying a new radio is no guarantee of permanently resolving the problem either.

·
Registered
105 Posts
sounds like no easy or clear solution..! >:

is there a way to utilize EXISTING speakers in the car with some sort of a Bluetooth device to a phone?

·
Registered
10 Posts
This amplifier malady affects *all*outgoing audio, including radio, CD, BlueTooth, and Voice Command responses.

There are other online threads in which people have replaced the whole factory system with a 3rd-party aftermarket system. In that scenario you could certainly re-use the factory speakers, but you'd also lose the all of the native voice command functionality that the factory system provides.

·
Registered
105 Posts
the thought i had was to use the functionality of MY PHONES audio, micorphone etc...

But how to connect my phone to the speakers?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'd recommend a 3rd-party system that includes BlueTooth functionality. You could research this at Crutchfield.com . Keep in mind that the factory bezel would need to be replaced with a 3rd-party bezel that is made for retrofitting a Focus.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Please see below, this is very simple fix:

Got a used radio from a local guy parting out a few focus models for $50 - Happy to have a radio again!

So if and when this happens to you:

Pull your radio, easy 5min job - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOL6_PxGJTQ

Check part number (dealer was no help in this)

And find a local junk yard for one.

Hope this helps someone!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, a replacement from a junk yard is a really simple fix IF (AND ONLY IF) the replacement radio doesn't have this same issue. I've already installed a replacement radio 2 years ago. After 2 years the replacement radio has developed the exact same issue. AND, since the problem is intermittent, even a well-intentioned seller may not be aware that the radio they are selling is defective.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Radio Part # Guide

Here's a description of the different radio part #s:

w/ navigation, w/ satellite: CM5T-19C107-GD -> CM5T-19C107-GJ
w/ navigation, w/ satellite: CM5T-19C107-KA -> CM5T-19C107-KD
w/o navigation, w/ satellite: CM5T-19C107-JA -> CM5T-19C107-JD
w/o navigation, w/o satellite: CM5T-19C107-HA -> CM5T-19C107-HD

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Yes, a replacement from a junk yard is a really simple fix IF (AND ONLY IF) the replacement radio doesn't have this same issue. I've already installed a replacement radio 2 years ago. After 2 years the replacement radio has developed the exact same issue. AND, since the problem is intermittent, even a well-intentioned seller may not be aware that the radio they are selling is defective.
I got mine from a dude that parts out MK3 focus models, lucky he had a few and let me try it out first.

·
Registered
179 Posts
And the point is that it is a) an intermittent problem, so it might not show up right away, and b) a really common problem, so even if the replacement unit doesn't have that problem at installation, it might develop it at any time. Therefore this is a band-aid solution.

Maybe you get lucky, and get a replacement that is okay and remains okay while you own the car. Maybe you get a week out if it, or anywhere in between. If the problem were rare, it would be different.

This is very similar to the whole reason that I bought my Focus in the first place. I had a Honda that I was reasonably happy with, until the transmission crapped the bed. It is apparently not uncommon at all for the year and model, so instead of investing in a wrecker transmission that might already have the same issue, or develop it soon, I went shopping for a car. The transmission would have been much cheaper, but I need something reliable to get to work.

A transmission is (As we're all painfully aware) a lot more work to replace, of course, as well as being more expensive to purchase, even from a wrecker. In this case, it's not a huge investment, so it's certainly worth a try, but your mileage may vary. I honestly believe that the actual solution in this case is aftermarket. The integration harness to retain functionality isn't cheap, but is a permanent and effective solution.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
And the point is that it is a) an intermittent problem, so it might not show up right away, and b) a really common problem, so even if the replacement unit doesn't have that problem at installation, it might develop it at any time. Therefore this is a band-aid solution.

Maybe you get lucky, and get a replacement that is okay and remains okay while you own the car. Maybe you get a week out if it, or anywhere in between. If the problem were rare, it would be different.

This is very similar to the whole reason that I bought my Focus in the first place. I had a Honda that I was reasonably happy with, until the transmission crapped the bed. It is apparently not uncommon at all for the year and model, so instead of investing in a wrecker transmission that might already have the same issue, or develop it soon, I went shopping for a car. The transmission would have been much cheaper, but I need something reliable to get to work.

A transmission is (As we're all painfully aware) a lot more work to replace, of course, as well as being more expensive to purchase, even from a wrecker. In this case, it's not a huge investment, so it's certainly worth a try, but your mileage may vary. I honestly believe that the actual solution in this case is aftermarket. The integration harness to retain functionality isn't cheap, but is a permanent and effective solution.
O trust me I know what you are saying. NEVER had any issues with any radios on any other cars EVER.

My "band aid" junk yard find is 3 years old now. Rather spend $50 then crazy dealer prices $800 and up. Also not a fan of upgraded headunits or radios so thats out. At the end of the day its up to the owner what they will do...

My "main" problem is that this that yes many others having this problem and ford is doing nothing for the owners.

·
Registered
105 Posts
if the owners are smart, they will do NOTHING for FORD too. I for one will never by another ford. Nor will my children or siblings.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
if the owners are smart, they will do NOTHING for FORD too. I for one will never by another ford. Nor will my children or siblings.
Yeah after the radio, trans, and dealership issues this has left me thinking that its time for a new brand...

·
Registered
179 Posts
I believe it, but given what I know about how this stuff works, my belief would be that even paying crazy dealership prices for a radio is still a band-aid, since you'll just get a new one that's the same as what was in there, with the same potential problems in a couple of years.

Glad you got 3 years from your junkyard part. You're one of the lucky ones there,

41 - 60 of 70 Posts