Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Others having this issues? All I have to do to fix is turn the car off and back on again but still annoying.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After more research sounds like a speaker(s) issue, might have to contact my dealer.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Refer to threads in the Car Audio section, might be related to similar issues where it can also turn on unexpectedly & loudly with similar noises when the car is shut off.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey IngotMK3,

Check out the vehicle's software version and see if there's an update available. You can find the info here: https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/how-tos/keep-your-sync-up-to-date.html. Let me know if you have any questions!

Cara
Checked my dealer for recall and updates but nothing. Sounds are getting worse and the radio is not working. This would just happen a few times a week but now everyday. Pulled the fuse so I can drive without hearing the popping and cracking sounds. From other searching it sounds like the head unit and or speakers. I don't have $800 laying around for a new head unit.

·
Focus Preacher
3,408 Posts
Checked my dealer for recall and updates but nothing. Sounds are getting worse and the radio is not working. This would just happen a few times a week but now everyday. Pulled the fuse so I can drive without hearing the popping and cracking sounds. From other searching it sounds like the head unit and or speakers. I don't have $800 laying around for a new head unit.
Few people here had a bad ACM (bad batch?) having the same symptoms as you.

The alternative would be a used ACM from a scrap yard costing way less than 800$.

EDIT: did some searching for you there some ACM on ebay as low a 100$

You have to know which ACM part number you need (verify with dealer parts service please)

This one fit 2012 focus : http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-PN-CM5T-19C107-A-OEM-FACTORY-AM-FM-CD-ACM-/170994421279

The replacement is not hard, you have to remove front audio console (IIRC, 2-4 screws then some clips) then you will see the ACM directly under the display

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I understand about having to dish out that much money for a replacement, but I would still have the dealer take a look at it to see what's going on. It may be something that they can fix on hand.

Cara

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Few people here had a bad ACM (bad batch?) having the same symptoms as you.

The alternative would be a used ACM from a scrap yard costing way less than 800$.

EDIT: did some searching for you there some ACM on ebay as low a 100$

You have to know which ACM part number you need (verify with dealer parts service please)

This one fit 2012 focus : Ford PN CM5T 19C107 A Factory Am FM CD ACM | eBay

The replacement is not hard, you have to remove front audio console (IIRC, 2-4 screws then some clips) then you will see the ACM directly under the display
Pull a part here I come! [thumb]

I understand about having to dish out that much money for a replacement, but I would still have the dealer take a look at it to see what's going on. It may be something that they can fix on hand.

Cara
I have never had any radio issues with any of my cars till now… My dealers have never heard of this. This is my daily and I do not have the extra 800 for this car or the extra time during the week to drop it off an be without a car. I work 9-5 and drive an hr to work one way.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Pull a part here I come! [thumb]

I have never had any radio issues with any of my cars till now… My dealers have never heard of this. This is my daily and I do not have the extra 800 for this car or the extra time during the week to drop it off an be without a car. I work 9-5 and drive an hr to work one way.
IngotMK3,

Sorry for the delay in response! If the dealers are having a hard time pin pointing the issue, I would have them reach out to their Tech Hotline for more troubleshooting options.

Cara

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
IngotMK3,

Sorry for the delay in response! If the dealers are having a hard time pin pointing the issue, I would have them reach out to their Tech Hotline for more troubleshooting options.

Cara

I need this CM5Z18C869HA part number, going to the local scrap yards before paying 325 at the dealer. I know what I need and not paying the service charge to check and install when I can do it/know whats wrong.

Look at this 20 page thread of countless ford owners having the same issue please let us know why this is not a TSB/extended warranty yet?!?

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/car-audio-sync-myford-touch-electronics/358625-crackling-radio-problem-my-2012-sel-20.html

·
Focus Preacher
3,408 Posts
Look at this 20 page thread of countless ford owners having the same issue please let us know why this is not a recall yet?!?

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/car-audio-sync-myford-touch-electronics/358625-crackling-radio-problem-my-2012-sel-20.html
Unfortunately to issue a recall you need X numbers of failure... failure of the ACM are rare!

I can count on my hand people (ok triple my hands [grinking]) here who had this issue (out of how many focus are on the market)!

Electronic are not perfect... people will end will duds... so is iPhones,laptops etc

EDIT: my friend had is head-unit replaced in his Kia Rio3 2013 last month... output has failed (loud pop, then no more sound)

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Look at this 20 page thread of countless ford owners having the same issue please let us know why this is not a recall yet?!?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a true recall would only be enacted if the problem were to cause in unsafe/fatal condition towards people. Gas pedal getting stuck at WOT would necessitate a recall. Paint prematurely peeling on one rear quarter panel does not. A recall means they actually reach out to each and every affected customer, notify them of the issue and tell them to bring the car to a service center ASAP. That's not what will happen here.

Just saying. I believe the term you're looking for is not "recall" as much as "service bulletin" or "warrant extension/exception" ? It's more.... "when a customer brings the car in with this complaint, perform this fix for free."

·
Focus Preacher
3,408 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but a true recall would only be enacted if the problem were to cause in unsafe/fatal condition towards people. Gas pedal getting stuck at WOT would necessitate a recall. Paint prematurely peeling on one rear quarter panel does not. A recall means they actually reach out to each and every affected customer, notify them of the issue and tell them to bring the car to a service center ASAP. That's not what will happen here.

Just saying. I believe the term you're looking for is not "recall" as much as "service bulletin" or "warrant extension/exception" ? It's more.... when a customer bring the car in with this complaint, perform this fix for free.
Yes, Motor Vehicle Defects and Safety Recalls: What Every Vehicle Owner Should Know | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

I think TSB/Warranty ext. would be for non-critical stuff

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Just saying. I believe the term you're looking for is not "recall" as much as "service bulletin" or "warrant extension/exception" ? It's more.... "when a customer brings the car in with this complaint, perform this fix for free."
Unfortunately to issue a recall you need X numbers of failure... failure of the ACM are rare!

I can count on my hand people (ok triple my hands [grinking]) here who had this issue (out of how many focus are on the market)!

Electronic are not perfect... people will end will duds... so is iPhones,laptops etc

EDIT: my friend had is head-unit replaced in his Kia Rio3 2013 last month... output has failed (loud pop, then no more sound)

Define "X" 20 pages deep and they don't recognize this? Who's side you on? The stealership?

Ya TSB or extended warranty on this part, sorry my bad. _ Nijna edit [neener]

I have NEVER had any issues with other cars and radios…. EVER

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Quite a few of the old 6 CD changers crapped out, but most used it as an excuse to upgrade. Easier to do when it's not a new integrated multi-media system that does everything.

·
Focus Preacher
3,408 Posts
I have NEVER had any issues with other cars and radios…. EVER
Me neither... does it means the problems doesn't exist at other brands? Hell no!!

I'm taking the side of reasoning....people come to complain here of course...but just take a look at other brands forum to see that the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Me neither... does it means the problems doesn't exist at other brands? Hell no!!

I'm taking the side of reasoning....people come to complain here of course...but just take a look at other brands forum to see that the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence!
This is not about other brands(I was just saying), its about ford right here and now. Guess I will live with no radio till I find one on the cheap…

Im sure if yours took a crap on a 3year old car you might act differently.

·
Focus Preacher
3,408 Posts
This is not about other brands(I was just saying), its about ford right here and now. Guess I will live with no radio till I find one on the cheap…

Im sure if yours took a crap on a 3year old car you might act differently.
I bought it used for cheap... my MK3 is 5 years old now... shit will happens of course... this I can absorb... engine would have been a hard hit but they sell some at around 800 bucks...

Ford parts are cheap... I had VW's before ... what???!! 700$ for a oem caliper!!![mecry]

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I bought it used for cheap... my MK3 is 5 years old now... shit will happens of course... this I can absorb... engine would have been a hard hit but they sell some at around 800 bucks...

Ford parts are cheap... I had VW's before ... what???!! 700$ for a oem caliper!!![mecry]
I guess, ya I know I have a MK5 GTI project car (money pit) - head units can be around 2k for them hahaha

Not looking to spend any extra on my focus daily.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts