Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi
I have a Ford Focus MK3 (2011). It's equipped with a radio that has USB connection but no line-in aux port. I opened the centre-console an took out the radio to see what else I can do to install line-in but the main port it has I couldn't find any reference on the internet to look for. I connected a memory stick with some MP3 songs in it and that works fine, though I needed to press AUX button twice in order to put the AHU in to mp3 mode. Initially it went for Line-in. So I wonder, perhaps my AHU does have the option for line-in but I don't know how to take it out from existing connector. The hole next to the USB port in glove-compartment is empty and there isn't any connection made available under/behind the compartment where I can buy and install the line-in connector from dealer.

Besides, is there a way that I can plug-in a Bluetooth A2DP receiver (or a device) to the available USB port to have aftermarket bluetooth feature with the default radio? If it's possible then that would be great I can totally skip my search for line-in connection.[:)]

Note: I would prefer a solution for the existing AHU instead of replacing it at all. So what are the options I'm left with?

Below are some pictures for you to guide me in right direction.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Not sure on the blue-tooth.
But make sure you don't have an Aux port in the upper left of the glove-box.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I checked already. There's no line-in 3.5mm female port.
Regarding installation of the AUX port I answered in the "Aux port fuse" post.
Regarding bluetooth you have several options:

Without Aux-in
Use an FM transmitter that has bluetooth capabilities
Use an bluetooth usb dongle that has mp3 streaming capabilities. This mean bluetooth from your phone will be converted on-the-fly to mp3 and your cd unit will play it as a regular mp3 (this is what I use)

With Aux-in
Use an bluetooth usb dongle with line-out jack that you will connect to usb only for power and line-out you will connect to the Aux-in port.

I will search some example links to this dongle later and post this here, but I think you can find them on ebay very easy.

Last option for bluetooth will be to completely retrofit your car with original bluetooth (sync 1 or higher) but that involve changing or adding electrical wire, changing the cd unit and adding sync module, reprograming the bcm.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for a quick reply.
Thanks for the USB-Bluetooth dongle hint. I'll be waiting for the links. I couldn't find anything related to it on ebay and don't prefer to use fm-sender as the sound quality gets poor.

Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So today I finally spared enough time to install line-in as per suggestion. It worked flawlessly. Now I've got both options (USB or 3.5mm line-in) working.

Thanks to Ovidiur for his tips.

·
Registered
49 Posts
@waqaslam
You are welcome, gled you made it.

I also changed my 2-lines display with the 5" nav display (it must be AM5T to retain the usb function) and the key panel with one with nav key and 0 to 9 keys. These are very easy to upgrade and are plug and play but together with the right settings made with focccus I got also 10 radio station memory instead of 6.
Now I am fully satisfied with my audio options, nav and also better look with the 5" display.
Maybe later I will do an speaker upgrade together with door insulating for vibration and maybe an under seat mounted subwoofer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool. If possible, can you please share some pics and part numbers/links for further inspirations? [idea]

-Regards

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hi Ovidiur,
Thanks for the link. I read it all. Found a lot useful information but the same time too much information was confusing too [chairfall]

If I summarise my understanding correctly then I have base unit (without Sync & Bluetooth) so I only need to look for screens that start with AM5T (even though my AHU/radio's part number starts with BM5T). I guess screen part numbers are different than AHU and has nothing to do with each other. Also, I can only install OEM reverse camera with these screens (probably the ones with Nav feature).

Now it leads me to ask you few further questions:

• Besides Nav, what is the purpose of Phone button in the new key-panel since it doesn't have bluetooth/sync?
  • How do you upload/update maps for the Nav?
  • Difference between 4.2 and 5 inches screen other than Navigation feature? or is it possible to have Nav feature in 4.2 inches screen?
  • Do we really need heat-sink for LCD screen? I live in Sweden and here we don't have harsh summers compared to winters.
  • What changes did you make in FoCCCus software in order to recognise updated LCD and radio station memory? Is there anything else that needs to be altered?
  • What screen part number are you using for your setup? That will help me a lot to find the right parts in our online junkyard
Sorry to bug you with so many questions, but I'm intrigued to know the possibilities to mod a ford focus.

Regards

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi waqaslam
Sorry for my late answer.
If you had the cd unit like in the pictures in the first post than it is the base unit. I don't know what part number was my CD unit if it was BM5T or something else. Also my display is AM5T but don't know the full part number. Maybe later I will open it up again to install the gps antenna and than I will look.
There are two type of display regarding reverse camera. I think all AM5T will have the beige FAKRA connector which accept only OEM camera. In this case you also need an additional module.
The other type are displays with an green camera connector accept after market camera.
All 5" display have navigation and on the upper side an sd card slot only for nav card. Card for navigation you have to purchase. Search for Ford MFD navigation card on ebay
The phone button does only mute in my case because I do not have bluetooth.
I do not know if the 4,2" have navigation, I guess not but I am not shore.
Regarding cooling there is no heat sink. It is just an tube which take cool air from the vents and blow it on the area of the display where fan is (yes display has a fan).
I did not install this cooling tube and probably will not install even if in my country the temperature can be as high as 40 degree C.
The LCD will work plug and play even without any setting in central configuration with focccus.
The following setting are to be changed

172 Touchscreen: from whatever your setting was to -> 06-With display-No touchscreen, color-TFT, MFD5

and for the 0-9 key panel

214 Integrated Control Panel: (my setting was Standard ICP) changed to 05-Navigation ICP.

Hope it helps you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I read that you installed a line in on your focus. I've just bought one and the USB won't work with my phone so I'm thinking of installing the aux connection. Where did you find the female connection and did you need to do any reprogramming or anything to make it work? I've been to ford today and they have told me that the USB port doesn't connect to the stereo?? The stereo has an aux button and a USB port, surely they are connected, no idea. Aux connection is plan B. Any help would be great, thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can install line-in by tapping into the connector port. If your unit has support for it then follow this guide:

https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-focus/742914-aux-port-fuse.html

A post with picture in the above link helped me to install the AUX. In short, you need to make use of pin 6, 17 and 18. Just buy and ordinary 3.5mm audio cable, strip one end and bind with jumper cables (GPIO cables used with arduinos or raspberry). Remove the plastic casing of jumper cable and insert into the holes of radio port on the above mentioned pin numbers. This is what I've done and it works flawless :)
Also, no programming of unit is needed to make Aux Line-in work.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all and thanks a lot for your very helpful posts! You guys seem to be the only people on the internet who have got information about this specific problem. I own a Ford Fiesta 2013 and from disassembling the dashboard once already, I know that it has the exact same radio built in. However before taking it apart again and fitting the cables for the 3.5mm jack, I wanted to confirm I wont need any SW update.

Also, no programming of unit is needed to make Aux Line-in work.
Good luck.
Currently, when I press the AUX button on the radio it switches directly to USB playback, without any sort of menu. Was it the same for you?
If so, once I have connected the 3.5mm jack as described, will there be an option to select between 3.5mm and USB? Otherwise, how does switching between the input sources work?

Any answer is highly appreciated!

Greetings from Germany,
Jonas

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi
If you click on the Aux button twice and it does show you Line-in option then of-course you don't need to program any thing. However, if it's not the case then I don't know the solution.
My unit had this option from the first-day, so it was all fixed pretty simple and quick.

Good luck!
-Waqas

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks, I just checked and unfortunately it hasn't got that option, so it just stays in USB playback... Maybe someone else has an idea what one would need to do to configure the unit correctly?
Anyway I'm going to contact Ford and also ask them if a local dealership could help out with this. If I have any success I will post again.

Regards,
Jonas

1 - 18 of 18 Posts