Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a pin hole on the motor side of the radiator. About two inches from the top towards the passenger side. I've used Barr's /Bards stop leak to some success in past cars that I didn't care about. Is there any reason one shouldn't use it again? I'd rather not buy a new radiator if not needed. But I don't want to adversely affect anything else. The leak is sooo small. In the right lighting and at the right angle you can see it misting out.

·
Registered
359 Posts
It may work, hard to say. That said, I wouldn't use it myself even on my older vehicles. Looks like aftermarket radiators are about $70 - $85. No other issues with the cooling system that would be causing the leak?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I'm pretty sure I hit it with something when I was in there. I didn't realize I actually punctured it until yesterday. I noticed the oil temps were getting high but the engine temp guage was where it normally is. I looked and I was low on coolant. I filled it up and found the tiny amount of spray. I didn't realize radiators were that cheap. That being the case I'll just do it right and get a new one. It's not a pressing issue as the leak is so small it would take a week or two till I would have to top it off. Thanks

·
Registered
359 Posts
Not a problem, the prices I saw were for online stores. I'm sure autoparts stores around you will have them in stock, could be slightly more expensive but nothing outrageous.

·
Registered
46 Posts
[facepalm]
No.
Leak.
Stop.
Never! (unless it is an emergency)

Funny thing is that for many cars, you can buy a new radiator for about the same that a radiator shop would charge to repair yours. While you're at it, replace hoses, thermostat, gaskets, yadda yadda.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts