Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it best to do a radiator flush? Drain and fill? or Top off?

·
Registered
11,161 Posts
Depends on mileage. I usually flush when it's time to change.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm at 34K. I've had it since 26 or 27?? I can't remember. I'm thinking it would be a good idea, preventitive maitnence kinda deal but i wanted to check and make sure its safe. I know you aren't supposed to change the transmission fluid, just add to it or it could ruin your transmission.

I also bought orange coolant because thats whats in it and it was the most expensive, therefore I feel like its the best! Plus I got some water wetter.

·
Turbo!!!!
5,797 Posts
Isn't it past your bed time?^^^^^

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"I know you aren't supposed to change the transmission fluid, just add to it or it could ruin your transmission."

Untrue. In fact, if you do not have the 30,000 mile transmission service done, it will void your transmission warranty. Most of the shops now use machines that do a 100% fluid replacement on auto transmissions, and even if yu use the old "drop the pan" method, you put about 40% new fluid into the transmission.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmmm off topic but strange. All warenties got voided because I'm the second owner. I never got the service, but everything seems ok... should I get it checked out?

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"All warenties got voided because I'm the second owner"

I believe the long-term powertrain warranty remains in place even though you are the second owner, but I am not sure with which model year they began doing this.

It would be very wise to have the transmission service done as Ford has never been known for their auto transmission durability.

The manufacturer's schedule for maintenance is a good start:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/maintenance_schedules/Getymm.asp

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
The orange coolant is supposed to be good for 5 years, so it should still be good (plus I like the clean citrus taste). So if the stuff looks clean and you want to change it "just because", I'd just zoom it out with plain water. I wouldn't bother with cooling system cleaners unless it's really necessary.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I would drain the coolant out, then fill with the water hose...leave it running and let the car run with the heater on and flush the block as well as the radiator

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
its certainly not going to hurt your car to flush it with atleast fresh water, just do it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Since it looks like you have an 03 spi focus, you should have gold coolant in it.
Gold coolant has a life of 100000 miles. As long as it has good color and has
a freeze point of at least 25 below I wouldn't worry about it. But if you want to
change it, you could just drain and refill.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts