Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot get the fans to run. Have done a lot of reading and troubleshooting but no go. Relays are working. Fuse is good. Checked for fan operation by direct to battery. The resistor was bad and only reading 0.00 ohms when tested. Replaced it. Tried turning on AC but still no go. Bought and installed new CHT and pigtail. Still not working. Did the key on, press ODO reset button thing and got a 90C which I think is 194F. The thermostat is NEW and rated at 180 F.. I am at a loss. Before replacing the CHT ,I tested it by connecting a test light to ground and probing one side. It lighted the test light. Then I tried the other side and the fans came on!!
Do you think this could be a ground issue? If so I will need a schematic.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am in the the gen1 forum. It is a 2007 2.0 Duratec. I determined that the relays are good by testing them. Energized low and heard a clik. But not good enough. I then connected my VOM and did see continuity.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update. Disconnected CHT and then started engine. Next there was a code P1289. This seems to be normal as the fans kicked on and continued till I shut off the engine.. Reconnected and restarted the engine. Tried to clear the P1289 code but it is still there. I will disconnect the battery and try that.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I am in the the gen1 forum. It is a 2007 2.0 Duratec. I determined that the relays are good by testing them. Energized low and heard a clik. But not good enough. I then connected my VOM and did see continuity.
P1289 because the sensor was disconnected.
Did you check all 4 relays?
Did you verify power at the relay socket teminals?

Paul

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cleared the code. 4 relays? I have only found 2. Would you tell me where they are? No I didn't check for power at the socket terminals. But I will.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Think I might have found it. While removing R3, key on, engine off, so I could test those sockets, the fans came on and off according to where I was wiggling the relays to get it out. At least there is a short beneath the junction box. All sockets had power. But R3 seemed to have loose wiring. Will get a new relay too.

·
Registered
16,330 Posts
The relays can heat distort the relay plug area to not grab the terminals good enough to work at full amp.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tried a new relay. No difference. Loose connection. I have been looking at aftermarket harness for electric fans. Mr. Gasket 40105G has just about everything I would need except some way to tie into the ECU. At least that's the way I see it. Would get the fans going but fuel consumption would stay high...I think.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have read here at the forums that the factory number for low fan on is 220-225. Is that true? Do these (2.0 Duratec) run that hot?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tried dielectric grease. Didn't make a diff. Ran engine to 109C .
228F degrees. No fans. I guess I will have to look beneath the junction box after all.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I think you need to determine if you have a power side problem or a control side problem. The power side is fairly easy to test/verify - the control side not so much. But by veriying that the power side works/not then you can focus on that side of the equation. Since you say you tested the relays then you need to jumper at the BJB power terminals on the low speed (R4) and high speed (R3) relay terminals and verify that the fans operate in low and high speed.

Paul

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After checking at our local pull it yersef place, I found they wanted more $ for parts than an aftermarket adjustable harness,relay,fuse and adjustment box. With this rig, I can adjust the temp which the fans come on and go off. It has an on temp from 150f to 240f. It is up to 60 amp start and 25 amp running. They wanted like $60 for a fuse box and they attached harness. Out of a car as old as mine. Could end up with more probs than I had before. Thanks for everyones help.

·
Registered
16,330 Posts
The PCM not being notified will then not know to bump the idle up when the fan hit happens and it is a BIG hit and will certainly drop your idle when it happens and can even kill the engine. BTDT with a standalone fan controller. You'll get tired of all the engine dropping like a rock every time fans kick on.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
After checking at our local pull it yersef place, I found they wanted more $ for parts
What parts? What are you trying to replace?

Paul

1 - 20 of 39 Posts