Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The pet cock valve on my 2012 has been damaged. Before I remove it to drain the radiator I wanted a replacement valve on hand. Ford does not sell a replacement valve for the MK3 focus nor is there an aftermarket valve. Has anyone tried to replace this valve with something else in case I can't reinstall my damaged one?
IMG_1283.jpg
IMG_1329.jpg

·
Registered
121 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
The pet cock valve on my 2012 has been damaged. Before I remove it to drain the radiator I wanted a replacement valve on hand. Ford does not sell a replacement valve for the MK3 focus nor is there an aftermarket valve. Has anyone tried to replace this valve with something else in case I can't reinstall my damaged one?
View attachment 255301
IMG_1329.jpg
I know this is an old post but I went to do a coolant flush/fill on my daughter's 2012 Focus and the draincock looked exactly like the one pictured. The problem is that they break off flush with the threaded valve hole so there is nothing to grab onto to remove it. I took a different approach. I grabbed a stubby flat-head screwdriver and heated up the tip of it with a propane torch until it just started to glow orange. Then I carefully pressed the tip into the red valve plug, say about 1/4 inches deep. I held it there until it fully cooled so now I had a screwdriver slot to remove and retighten the plug. It works great to the point where I don't think I will bother getting a replacement that is likely to break in the same fashion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts