Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
This is about my 2008 mk2.5 ford focus 1.6 petrol

I slowed down to a crawl in motorway traffic and I had a warning light to say the engine was overheating. Pulled over to let the engine cool down and turned round to drive carefully home. I've only had the issue since by running idle for about 30 mins as the engine slowly heats up.

I understand that the radiator fan should start spinning once the coolant has reached a certain temperature but it doesn't. Nor does it spin when the A/C is turned on.

I've bypassed the fan control module and run the 12v straight into the fan and it spun up so I've determined that nothing is wrong with the 12v fan fuse or fan itself. I got a replacement control module from a breakers yard but it doesn't make a difference. Granted the replacement could be broken also.

Now I'm looking at the smaller diameter cable which ultimately joins the 12v lines going into the control module from the thermometer and other triggers. I'm guessing that if there is an issue with the thermometer that turning on the A/C would still start the fan at a slow speed? Neither start the fan so could it be a relay I've read about? I'm struggling to find the relay, doesn't appear to be in the fuse box close to the battery.

I've attached photos of my fuse box. F1 (big red 50amp) fuse works but F15 only has one pin so i assume its never had anything there.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,198 Posts
Doesn't look like our US spec fusebox at all. Underhood one here clearly marks the low and high speed relay.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish, I've lost track of how many fuse boxes there are, mine doesn't even appear to even have space for one relay!

·
Registered
18,198 Posts
Nah, I see several location there if they have steel contacts in the slots. Anything with 4 or 5 pins is a relay. Some are smaller than the big ones you have there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah sorry wasn't clear, i was meaning relays for the radiator cooling fan. Got to wonder sometimes, surely it'd be cheaper to keep unified designs for things like this. Unless its a regulatory issue

·
Registered
18,198 Posts
R11 on the right side about in the middle is A/C and may well be one of them.

Lots of times they are together, the big one R8 above might be one. Just marked power with no idea of what. If you have a fan module the relay for it may well be inside it. Can't say. They change that stuff every 37 seconds.

Went back and looked at post and if F15 has no contact then you may only have one fan speed or the module does the speed up. Really need a circuit diagram to tell.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I switched R11 for R2 (horn) last night so the AC relay is ok. Not tried R8 yet, looks like i dont have a direct swap so i might have to find a way to test with my multimeter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts