Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, got 2006 Ford Focus 2.0 L. Recently got backed into and the troubles started. After a few weeks, got the check engine light cleared after a piece of fuzz on MAF(it was giving a lean code).

It has since been acting up, though I don't have a check engine light on. I decided just to replace MAF since that was the initial culprit. I have also changed fuel filter and replaced spark plugs. The new problem is that it has a lack of power. It drives fine, however going down the interstate at 75 it needs to drop down a gear to climb even the smallest incline, where it usually was able to hold speed without gearing down. I don't know where I should look next, I can't seem to hear what could be a leak, I've also tried carb cleaner to try and locate vacuum leak. What could be my problem? Would I still be able to drive it as much as a do if the fuel pump was going bad?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya i'm pretty sure. There is only two screws and if you put it the other direction the holes don't line up. Would the catalytic converter throw a code if it was bad?

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Well if you have the tube reversed it could be in backwards.

Are you throwing a cat code? Which code specifically is it?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I'm pretty sure its in the same way I took it out. I'm not getting any check engine light at the moment. The only engine codes I ever got were from a lean condition P0171 and that cleared once I cleaned the fuzz or whatever off MAF

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The fuzz probably got on there because of me. The problems started when the car got backed into when my wife was at work. Just a small dent in the trunk, but the witness said it moved the car nearly a foot, however no skid marks so more likely an exaggeration. On the way home the car died and I managed to limp it back to the house. I changed the fuel filter and exchanged all the gas on the possibility that I put in 24% ethanol blend, no change. I then cleaned the MAF with MAF cleaner and viola, it fired right up but then gave me the lean code. I clean the MAF again this time with qtip(not on the filament, just the case around it) so I'm assuming thats were the fuzz came from. Though on our car the MAF comes before the non-replaceable air filter, that doesn't make much sense.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Though on our car the MAF comes before the non-replaceable air filter, that doesn't make much sense.
I'd like to see a pic of that from underneath. On the 06 model, the air filter is in the driver's fender. The box behind the headlight is just a silencer chamber, and a place for Ford to put the flow meter- that green/yellow/red push button thing sticking out of the box. There is no vehicle made anywhere that the MAF or MAP is before the air cleaner.

If your MAF is in a tube open to the air pointing straight down, then someone removed the factory lifetime air filter, and either improperly installed an aftermarket cone filter on the end of the MAF tube so that it fell off, or someone removed it and didn't put it back.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh ok, I assumed that the box with the meter on it was the air filter. In any case is there anything I can do to check the lifetime air filter in the fender? I'm assuming everything is still there, the tube with the MAF connects to another tube that goes back into the fender, so I'll have to take a look at that.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
No need to do all that if you think that the fuzz came from the Q-tip. You know best- fuzz- is a wide variety of things in text. It doesn't take much more than popping the hood to check the flow meter. Look in your owner's manual, I think you have to press the button for so many seconds, or press while looking at the flow meter. See if that will tell you anything.

How many miles are on the car?
When was the last time you checked your spark plugs?
Do you think bad fuel could be the culprit?
When you installed the fuel filter was the flat side of the filter pointed towards the tank?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm just assuming the fuzz came from the qtip, and now I have a re manufactured MAF sensor on there We are at 103,500 miles and I replaced the spark plugs last week with some new NGK ones. I think I ruled out the bad fuel as I have been using in my lawnmower and pressure washer with no problems. I installed the fuel filter with the arrow pointing the same direction as the old one was. Do you think the fuel pump has anything to do with it?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Changed the oil this evening and after taking it off the ramps and just letting it idle in the garage, while i cleaned up. I could hear a faint clunking noise. It wasn't consistent with any sort of engine speed and almost sounded like a hollow clunk. Can't really describe where it is coming from though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts