Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
k first off sorry if this is in the wrong section, but basically i have been thinking about weight reduction and seeing the link that top http://topspeedperformance.net/2004-ford-focus-what-each-part-weighs-with-pictures/ speed posted a while back of each piece of the car and what it weighs, i noticed that the battery itself weighs roughly 33lbs and i know they have several brands of race batteries out there.
i am just curious as to others experiences were with these types of batteries.

now i would still like to maintain my a/c and lights and my stereo set-up which consist of a 100w amp.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
when the car is running your running off the alt. you will only use the battery for starting and possibly heavy loads or if your alt is on its way out.

i personally have a 12lb ATV AGM battery (paid $68) running my car and it will start right up sitting for 2-3 days at -15'C

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's cool so you're able to run all you accessories without any issues? And did you notice any handling or acceleration improvement after changing the stock one out?

And did you have to do any mods with mounting it to the battery tray?

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you are at the track you could always carry a set of cables and a battery that is not mounted in the car. once your car is running it does not use the battery.

·
Registered
716 Posts
If you are at the track you could always carry a set of cables and a battery that is not mounted in the car. once your car is running it does not use the battery.
Don't ever run without a battery! You will be replacing your alternator shortly if you do at the very least. The battery helps regulate voltage spikes and dips among other things. My battery went bad this summer and even though it was still installed it ruined my alternator. This is what the guy who rebuilt my alternator told me even before he knew my battery had went bad. When he looked at my alternator he said it looked like I had a bad battery and I told him I had replaced it earlier this summer. I'm also an electrician by trade with about 12 years experience in commercial/industrial work so I have an idea how this stuff works.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts