Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all ~

What size would be recommended for road racing (on stock 17" rims) on an SVTF?

I can't find the stock size, and am trying to figure out what'll fit... without causing too much trouble...

Thanks in advance!

-Christopher

·
Registered
990 Posts
race tires

actually pirelli makes a semi race (index 80) in 215/45/17. problem is, they are 233 dollars each. since i carry 4 rain tires and 6 dry that was too much. i use the kuhmo v700 (50 index almost as good as the hoosiers) in 205/40/17 size. it lowers the center of gravity by 3/4s of an inch and effectively lowers the gear ratio. the kuhmos are 130 a pop plus 25 to heat cyle and shave to 3/32s.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent!

Perfect... exactly what I needed to know.

Thanks very much... I'll be ready for Summit Point now ;)

-Christopher

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not officially racing in any sanctioned body yet... haven't had a car since March, and haven't been out at any track since Nov...

Looking forward to a pair of FATT's and a Car Guy's event, all in November...

We'll see about the competing thing next year... the SVT F is the smallest (both car and engine) that I've run, (well, have yet to in the Focus)... so we'll see how it goes from there.

:)

Thanks again,
Christopher

·
Registered
990 Posts
svt

in thirty three years of road racing this is my 1st fwd, thou not my smallest. that was the vee. lots of adjustments. no trail braking, for instance. that said, having stiffened up the rear end a lot, the car rotates beautifully. if you are familiar w/summit, i use 3rd gear in turns 1 and 5, catch 4th in 2 and carry it until 5 w/a little brake for 3. i catch 4th again between 6 and 7 and carry it all the way to about pit out (a little brake for 10 to settle the car) where i catch 5th. on a good day we run about 1:33s. trap speed on front straight about 118 at end. w/the r-4 porterfield we dont have to brake until past 2nd to last marker on straight. the little bugger has suprised some much faster cars in the twisties there. the svtf is in its element on track. btw, the tire pressures i found work well there in temperate weather is this. cold-lf=22, lr-25, rf=23, rr=26. when fully warm that brings them to 33 lbs.all around. the reason for one lb less on left is that the higher speed turns stress that side and they generate more heat. oh also they need at least two degrees neg camber in front.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts