Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ME an my friend r wanting to buy race headers for our cars but we have a few questions
1 will we need to have a after market cat or will it bolt to the stock cat?
2 Will we need a flex pipe?
3 which would be the best improvement a new cat or header?
4Which type of header should we go with?
Sound is not an issue neither is the e-check
thanx for any help an suggestions

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also will we need to buy anything besides the race header?

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
I'm not an expert but here I go.....

1. No cat
2. Yes but not sure.....
3. Def the header
4. FocusSport or Focus Central are very good

Sound is gonna be obnoxious if you don't have a resonator but........

Peace.........

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
if your not worried about sound or emissions then go longtube header, the cat is omitted in this

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i will need a flex pipe though?

·
Registered
6 Posts
You can replace the header and cat with a race header, and if you do live in a emission checked area there are two options. A) Keep factory header and cat and bolt them on before your emissions check. B) Welding the cat with the proper flanges on to replace the flex pipe, highly recomend having urethane motor mounts on this one though, other wise you could torque the motor and break one of the flanges on your exhause due to lack of travel, it is doable but somewhat a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
welding a cat in would be a waste, you should upgrade the flexpipe too, it wont do any good to have one section smaller than the rest of the exhaust

·
Registered
793 Posts
mofocus said:
welding a cat in would be a waste, you should upgrade the flexpipe too, it wont do any good to have one section smaller than the rest of the exhaust
Yeah you'd get the best results from changing out all the pieces at once. If you have a "bottle neck" anywhere it will hamper your gains

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Your question kinda confused me. You asked if you would need a new cat or if you could use the stock cat... You do realize a "RACE" header eliminates the whole cat. converter, right? You would of course see a better improvement with a race header over a new cat, because the race header gets rid of the system all together... You won't need a new flex, although I reccamend do it all at the same time to save labor/time costs. New raceheader, flex, catback exhaust.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
get a flax and get a catback too...
just header will limit the posibilities of the exhaust...

·
Registered
565 Posts
FocusSport header and flexpipe. my best investment for my car thus far.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
I agree with yel900rr, the SVT setup would be your best bet if you want to keep the catalytic converter.

If not then either a FS or FC race header will work. If you do get a race header make sure to get a flexpipe with it, surprisingly enough it does matter.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
went to a muffler shop to see how much it would cost me for an install, they told me it was a 10.000$ fine for them if they install it on my car, so i think i will just get a new cat back exhaust, how is the mbrp for sound an power as of right now i have a stock cat back with a cut off muffler an a tip an its really quiet so i want it to sound like hit has some balls an i think the mbrp is one of the loudest with the best gain as far as the dynos but i was wandering if anyone has had the mbrp 2.5 on their car an if they like it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts