Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What race header is the best for the focus? I know with race headers, there are 4-1 and 4-2-1 designs. I was more looking into the 4-1 because it gives the best performance at higher rpms. Anyone know?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I got the focus Sport Ceramic header ..... omg i love it... it flows so much and it has stayed pretty nice looking as well. It is a 4 into 1... pretty much any aftermarket header will be that way.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well the focus-central race header is a 4-2-1 and i dont want that any more because 4-2-1 give there best performance at lower rpms. I shift at high rpms. I was looking at the FS one though. JBA has a race header too and I believe it's a 4-1 if i remember correctly

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
I have experience with the FS and FC headers. I have a FC on my car.

You really won't see a difference between a FS and FC on a dyno.

The 4-2-1 vs. 4-1 thing is silly unless you are making big power, like 200 fwhp and shifting near 8000-8500 rpm's. You probably won't be doing either, ever. So the comparison of 4-2-1 vs. 4-1 isn't really gonna make your car act differently on the street, you wouldn't feel a difference.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
FS is almost a 100% gauranteed good build quality, and if you have had the focus for a while or know anyone with focus central exhaust parts you know sometimes they arent always top notch. a lot of their 1st gen race headers would crack, but apparently they have a new and improved 2nd or 3rd gen, not sure how high up they are yet. but focal tech has had his on for over a year with no probs. so its really up to your discretion eh. focussport has a nice deal on race header + flex pipe though

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
if i get a race header, do i need a flex pipe?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes you'll need a flex pipe

with shorty header = header --- cat pipe ---flex pipe --- cat back

with race header = header --- flex pipe ---cat back

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
If you're going to put a hi-flo cat on with your race header and you're worried about passing emissions it would be much simpler to just put on the shorty and a hi-flo cat which are direct replacements rather than having to customize your exhaust to stick a cat in somewhere.......just my 2¢.

·
Registered
565 Posts
airplanemechanic said:
I got the focus Sport Ceramic header ..... omg i love it... it flows so much and it has stayed pretty nice looking as well.
[thumb]

·
Registered
845 Posts
A lot of places won't let you pass the visual part of the emissions test if you relocate the cat (which you'd have to do to have a race header + cat). If you want higher flow + emissions legal, buy larger diameter pipes...ie. 2.5 or 3.0 inches with a short header. I don't see the necessity of the larger pipes though. I'm taking my 2.25 inches to the 200-220whp mark with FI, and Vortech got like 190 hp on a stock car (I'm guessing 1 5/8 inch pipes?).

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm also trying to decide between a shorty or a race header and was wondering:

1. Is there a considerable difference in gains between the two?

2. Are race headers suitable for everyday driving or is the name "racing" header actually indicative of its intended use?

3. Does anyone know how I could find out about emissions testing in Maine? I've searched Maine.gov and didn't find much of anything, and the reason I'm curious is because someone told me that maine might be adopting CA's emissions program.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
zx3foci2000 said:
will it be a pain in the ass to get a high flow cat put on after my race header so i pass inspection?
youd be wasting your time, you wont pass inspection w/ that setup anyway

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I went with the ford race shorty and a fc race pipe(with cheater)-on threw to the flex and out with the magna-flow back, and a magna- flow silencer in the long tube..Real deep tone...But the real reason I went with the shorty was to put the cat on for inspection.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
I will say this again replacing the factory cat with an aftermarket one is against the law. It is as bad as putting in a race header.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The random tech one is not against the law. If I can find the paper I will try to scan it. When I use to the have the shorty-hi flo set up I was never rejected for emissions or anything like that.

shawn

1 - 20 of 32 Posts