Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about a FC Race Header and want to know if I need a flexpipe too? My plan was for the Race Header, Hi-Flo Cat and pipe, and Magnaflo Catback.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
you cant have race header and hiflow cat...
the race header is long and eliminates the cat...

joel

·
Focus Enthusiast
365 Posts
you can, it just has to be mounted further down the line.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
exactly...
if you want to use a cat just get a shorty !!

joel

·
Focus Enthusiast
365 Posts
i agree, but you said it couldn't be done and it can, it is just dumb to.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Why is it dumb? You'll pass emissions all while the benefits of a race header. The SVT does it that way. In fact why don't you just go with the SVT setup?

·
Focus Enthusiast
365 Posts
cause the cat sucks big floppy donkey dick!

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
look... you have a choice.. get a shorty with a cat flex and exhaust.... or get a race header with a flex and exhaust... no point in puttin in the cat after the race header because thats the point of the race header... to eliminate the cat for better flow. simple as that... race headers are illegal though so youll have to take it off and back on every time you get inspected..

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think Jibberish is the only one of you that got the point of the cat. I have to pass emissions. I have heard that you can put a hi-flo cat with the pipe behind the header between the cat-back. I was just wondering.

Economically lets do the math:
Shorty- 249-349
Flex 120-135
Hi-flo Cat- 99-249(249 is with the pipe)
Cat-back- 285

Race Header- 349
Hi-flo Cat- 249
Cat-back- 285

Economically it sounds better for the second set-up AND will pass emissions too as well as the first.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh yeah, as for the Race header being illegal, as long as it has all of the O2 sensor mounts and a Cat and will pass emissions and doesn't violate the noise laws, it isn't illegal.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Depends on where you live. Some states arent too hard on it, you would just have to have a cat to pass emissions, but no cop is ever going to check it. Now if you live in California good luck, everything is illegal there....

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Some states don't allow you to tamper with the stock cat, even if you pass emissions, you won't get certified... Also, the cat is where it's at for a reason, the catalysts need to operate at a certain temperature so they can convert over the pollutants. If you move it further away from the engine, it will become less effective.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
well seeing how there is a big fine for tampering with cats, which could include getting it installed somewhere after the collector, its going to be hard to get someone to do it. honestly, the gains wont be worth it either, just get a shorty and hi flow cat and do it the normal way u know. u'll see maybe 1-2 whp for a lot more money and work.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
i say get a shorty and down pipe then when u have to take it to emissions just take off the down pipe and throw on the stock cat :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a race header on mine. It was too loud so I got a Catco high flow cat welded on the midpipe of my catback. Its still too loud so i am probably gonna get a resinator or something later on. Quiet was all i was going for, but it is gonna be legal.

Back in the midpipe is a better place for it anyway. Having the converter bolted up that close to the engine can cause it to wear down becuase the emissions are so hot. It will take pretty long time, but eventually, you will start to get problems. However i gaurantee the temperature difference will not cause you to fail emissions testing unless you put it like all the way back. Even if it does fail (how?) you will just have to bolt the old crap back up once a year and thats it. Not only that, but regarding flow, having it further back will help you in the low end because there will be less pressure buildup than if you had shorty header and catpipe. However, i might be wrong about that one because after i got it on, i gained about .1 seconds or so in the 1/8 mile so im guessing that i didnt have enough backpressure. But a high flow resinator should help me out if thats the problem.

Saved myself about $240 than going with short header and cat pipe.

·
Registered
281 Posts
However i gaurantee the temperature difference will not cause you to fail emissions testing unless you put it like all the way back. Even if it does fail (how?) you will just have to bolt the old crap back up once a year and thats it.
A catalytic converter from my understanding works off of heat. If you put it in the exhaust it kind of gets pointless to have one. Manufacturers put it near the exhaust manifold or right into the Y Pipes so they cat can heat up quickly and bring emissions down on a cold start and so it can work at optimum efficiency. Once the exhaust fumes hit your actual exhaust they're not all that hot anymore. I see if you're gonna runu a race header just run it without a cat and then take it off for emissions....I mean its once every two years...it's not that hard. Or go with teh SVT setup like I mentioned before.

·
Registered
292 Posts
If you don't have to worry about emissions get the race header. I have the race header with the emission testing comming in April i'll just change it back. I only took me 4 hours to put it on!!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think one of fords reasons for putting it right after the exhaust manifold was to quiet it down. Having it there gives the exhaust less room to echo. Thats why it sounded so good when i had a rice can muffler on mine. It sounds completely obnoxious when you mess with the placement or remove the stock cat. It would have helped emissions to have it there, but it would still be effective enough if it was further back. But only to a certain length if you are running with a stock header. You would have to give it a lot of room to cool down for it to seriously decrease the effectiveness of your catalytic converter. Especially if you are running high flow exhuast (race header)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts