Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently decided that a supercharger would be my best path to take with my 3.

Now the problem, I know that there is no emitions testing in florida so a race header will expell the fumes fastest but, I hear that race headers are LOUD....

How loud is loud? We talking Harley with pipes at wide open throttle? Maybe airhorn loud?
Mind you I'm not talking tone, but overall loudness. Please someone give me some insight.

Thank you much.

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
I moved this to the Zetec forum b/c you will get better answers here.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have installed the OBX 4-2-1 race header on my car and it is a little louder but not that bad. The thing is, which I have not yet experienced, is the noise when you add a cat-back system in the mix. I have heard on several occasions on the forums that your exhaust will get really loud, compared to normal, because of the lack of catalytic converter. So, a race header is good just be careful on the type of exhaust you buy in the future or else your exhaust may scream a little louder than you like.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm running a Magnaflow exhaust and from what I'm told it's the loudest exhaust out. I may just be screwed...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just a little advise from someone who has been there,if you have a complete exhaust and you get ride of the cat it's not a big gain in power in fact you loss some low end torque and power with the lack of back pressure. Personally I had the straight exhaust for a while but it sounded to much my exhust came from pepboys. I ended up with a highflow Magnaflow cat with my Magnaflow catback exhaust and Focus Central 4-1 header. I get a nice deep sound and gained more low end power and torque believe it or not. Take my advise if this is a daily driver and not just a track toy, go ahead and get the header but plan on going to the exhaust shop and getting a highflow cat welded in, straight exhaust is only useful in the higher RPM's so if you have to get around town and want a clean sound from the exhaust get the cat.

·
Registered
703 Posts
^^ pretty good info for you first post. i concur...

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
THats why Im goin shorty header w/ high flow cat, its a daily driver and I need the low/mid range power more.

·
Banned
80 Posts
I've got a Focus Sport 4-1 Header, I had an MBRP w/ highflow cat welded in and the in car resonance was terrible! Finally I ditched the MBRP and put on a custom Brullen Exhaust (not a very popular name, but big with the VW guys around here). Its a little raspy at 4k but nothing that bad, when your just cruising around town its a nice deep tone and quiet. Also the in car resonance is gone.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Check into the SVT long header kit with cat that Mcnews sells. Nice piece, I like the way it works.

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
I have a FC Race header plus a SVT Borla (has a resonator with it). My car isn't loud at all.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I used to have a FC 4-2-1, bosal flex and bosal catback (no cats or resonators)
The car was very very loud. Like heard from 2 miles away at WOT loud. Also, the constant BURRRRRRRRRRRRR on the freeway killed me. But then again with the cams and damn near wide open exhaust it sounded very mean, you knew it ment business.

If i were to do it again i would get the same setup, but weld in the biggest resonator i could possibly fit.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Right on man just sharing a little past knowledge, and these my be some of my first entries on this site but I've been working on these cars since the first rolled on the streets and I've found a little back pressure is a good thing on this and most four cylinders engines.

·
Registered
384 Posts
That Guy said:
Just a little advise from someone who has been there,if you have a complete exhaust and you get ride of the cat it's not a big gain in power in fact you loss some low end torque and power with the lack of back pressure. Personally I had the straight exhaust for a while but it sounded to much my exhust came from pepboys. I ended up with a highflow Magnaflow cat with my Magnaflow catback exhaust and Focus Central 4-1 header. I get a nice deep sound and gained more low end power and torque believe it or not. Take my advise if this is a daily driver and not just a track toy, go ahead and get the header but plan on going to the exhaust shop and getting a highflow cat welded in, straight exhaust is only useful in the higher RPM's so if you have to get around town and want a clean sound from the exhaust get the cat.
I call bs on the no cat reducing power. Acutally it has been proven (on the dyno) that a cat can and will only reduce power. Now having said that if you running a 3inch exhaust on a poor little 4cyl and you remove the car then yes you might kill some of the exhaust velocity but this is the issue here.

OBX header will be good enuf, Personally if you dont need emissions testing get a morso sprial flow muffler or some very long resonator to add to the tunnel and a nice muffler, No fart cannons, it will flow more then you need and sound very nice. i would personally go no bigger then 2.5in exhaust, 2.25 will more then likely be enuf and cheaper for muffler and resonator options.

·
Registered
525 Posts
what kind of exhaust are you using goat Roper?

sweet car BTW [thumb]

Awwwwww Sweet sounds lol

·
2focusedracing
1,799 Posts
^^^ya just gotta love that exhaust, people just sh***t when i show them your video files[:D] [thumb] they can't believe it's a focus! sounds great!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a magnaflow exhaust. Its hella loud!!! Anything over 120km/h and your yelling at your passanger just to talk to them!! I'll be soon looking into something quieter!!

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
The volume is going to be determined by your choice of catback exhaust...with a straight pipe people will be able to hear you coming for miles, a normal (single-muffler) catback will be pretty damn loud but not deafening...I'd suggest a SVT Borla or equivalent catback (one that has a muffler and resonator,) that's what I'm running in conjunction with an OBX 4-2-1 and its just on the threshold of being too loud, that is, if it were any louder I wouldn't like it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts