Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I said this in my last post about my car update but I think this is just awesome! I just got my schroth racing harnesses and they are DOT approved! so you will not get a ticket or anything as long as the DOT sticker is on the harness.
If you would like to order yours the website is www.schrothracing.com

Thanks for stopping by and reading this and hope you have a great day!
[ffrocks]

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
um, no.

'racing harness' and factory seat don't belong in the same sentence. Well unless you're just going for looks and paralyzation that is.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Really another post about harnesses? Isn't your original post a few below this?

Im with iminhell :) Either cage it and put in harness with the correct mounting system or get a harness bar made up with some correct seats. Its a safety device don't screw with it lol

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Listen I'm posting this stuff for people that's interested in them, not for people that want to criticize me for owning them I have them and I love them if u don't like the idea then dont say shit about them

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
I think he doesn't understand why harnesses should never be used on the street. Natural selection in work I'd say...

·
Deutsche Arsche
2,549 Posts
The "harness" you are speaking about is NOT for racing but for the street. I have been using Schroth Racing parts since 2000 and ordering from the factory. I used my 6 point race harness with my OEM seat for Slalom use only never on the track. They are not new and have been around for more than 20 years.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Listen I'm posting this stuff for people that's interested in them, not for people that want to criticize me for owning them I have them and I love them if u don't like the idea then dont say shit about them
You can post it but we'll say how unsafe it is to run harnesses on factory seat so the ones who are interested know and don't end up doing it. Any harness can "work" with factory seats. Being DOT approved doesn't mean it automatically safe. You need a proper seat full framed or full backed and proper mounting. I know plenty of people with harnesses in their trucks who have never had a problem. Cops have half a brain to know a lot of DOT regulations are BS. You could had gotten 2 Sparco harnesses for the price of one of these...

I'm actually interested in how you have these mounted as well.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
thats the same as the OP...

Many people use these for autocross. Please explain why they are no good for street use.... Id like to know.

·
Deutsche Arsche
2,549 Posts
The reason I posted the link directly.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Lets say you get into an accident and are laying upside in a lake.........hmmmmmmm GEE I WONDER lets see how long it takes you to get a 6 point harness off!

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I can get a 6 point off faster then I can get my belt in my car off...

Its not about being good for street use. If I had race seats I would run harnesses. Its having a seat made to run a harness with and having proper mounting points. I would like to see how the OP has his mounted.
As far as using them for autocross, you're on a flat, coned off course and don't really need to worry about a wreck. People just want something to hold them in their seat better.

And for the OP. Their site clearly states that the harnesses are DOT approved for certain vehicles.

"SCHROTH street legal harness belts are unique in their ability to be installed to factory provided mounting points along with the factory provided seat belts. SCHROTH harness belts meet all certification requirements by the German TÜV, ECE-R 16.04 and US-DOT FMVSS 209 for use on public roads. Each belt comes with complete installation and operating instructions. If your vehicle is listed in the included Vehicle Reference List the installation has been tested and appoved with the stock seat or the listed aftermarket seats."

I don't see Ford Focus on their list.
http://www.schrothracing.com/docs/FE-VehRefList-Print.pdf

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Schroth gets a nod for having an anti-submarine technology built into their 4-points. This however does not mean they should be used for street use.

Rollover events, even in a 4-point, is not something I look forward to in a car with no rollbar. In a standard 3-point belt, you have a lot of wiggle room. With 4-points, you don't, except for straight down, and thats not even a straight shot.

Racing harnesses do not have tensioners. Because of that, they need to be cinched really tight to work properly. Thats fine at a race track, where you are focusing on driving. On the street, if you need to adjust anything beyond the reach of the steering wheel, it will be hard. You see people driving around with harnesses on and slack, and that will do nothing.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Rollover events, even in a 4-point, is not something I look forward to in a car with no rollbar. In a standard 3-point belt, you have a lot of wiggle room.
I contend this is a myth. I contend that you don't have wiggle room, you just have slack to be thrown around like a rag doll. If the roof collapses, the idea that with a three point you will pushed to safety strikes me as absurd. Regardless of the type of restraint, if you are in a crash and your head contacts the roof, you are in a lot of trouble. The fact is that with just a factory three point, the chances of your head making contact with parts of the car are much greater.

Much like the slack left in race harnesses isn't an asset, the slack created by a three point does you no good.

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
Then why aren't racing harnesses standard on cars? You're saying that manufactures don't do any testing with their "oh so unsafe" 3 point harnesses, or break away points on seats?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Then why aren't racing harnesses standard on cars? You're saying that manufactures don't do any testing with their "oh so unsafe" 3 point harnesses, or break away points on seats?
Manufacturers have tried. Volvo in particular, but they were judged too uncomfortable and difficult to put on. Plus, it is difficult to locate retractor on the inboard side. What structural point is there close to the driver's right shoulder?

Also, I never said that the three points are unsafe or that they aren't tested. But since you want to play Mr. Know-It-All, tell me what rollover crash standard manufacturers are trying to meet with those three point belts that govern the testing they do. Here, I'll give you a head start on where to look - http://www.nhtsa.gov/

Once you've answered that, it is time you understood the issue of break away of seats. Seat collapse result are not based on downward impact through the driver.
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/CrashWorthy/Seats/nasseat2/nasseat2.html

Now you can share with the group the level of priority your think rollover crash outcomes get in new car design.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Manufacturers have tried. Volvo in particular, but they were judged too uncomfortable and difficult to put on. Plus, it is difficult to locate retractor on the inboard side. What structural point is there close to the driver's right shoulder?

Also, I never said that the three points are unsafe or that they aren't tested. But since you want to play Mr. Know-It-All, tell me what rollover crash standard manufacturers are trying to meet with those three point belts that govern the testing they do. Here, I'll give you a head start on where to look - http://www.nhtsa.gov/

Once you've answered that, it is time you understood the issue of break away of seats. Seat collapse result are not based on downward impact through the driver.
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/CrashWorthy/Seats/nasseat2/nasseat2.html

Now you can share with the group the level of priority your think rollover crash outcomes get in new car design.
Something else they fail to mention is that most head traumas in rollovers are from the head contacting something outside the car as it rolls. The g force you experience in a rollover will sling your head towards and sometimes through the side window with a 3 point. The 4 point will prevent that. Also, how fucking hard are these driving on the street that a 4 point wouldn't help. Maybe if you are driving that hard you should reserve that for the track!!!!! I I use these exclusively to keep me from having to use my back stabilizer muscles from working so hard to hold me. I have had 4 back surgeries and I can tell you that holding me in place is very important. Something else to mention is that these harnesses utilize the 4 points that are used for the existing seatbelts. So the likelihood that these belts aren't going to hold you in a crash is absurd!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts