Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read that aftermarket cat's are illegal in California, does anyone know if this is true? Also has anyone with a R/T cat ever had problems passing emissions? My tags and stuff are coming up soon and I dont want to have any worry's about passing. Right now I have a MBRP exhaust and FS flex.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes the RT cat is not legal in the state of Cali. To my knowledge you can only use OE cats.
Try Random Techs website. You can always keep the stocker and put it back on for emmisions
testing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Not from California, but here in Austin, TX we have emissions testing and my RT high flow cat passed just 2 days ago. My understanding is that it isn't legal to replace a working OEM cat with a high-flow cat anywhere in the US, though, not just California. Even RT's instructions were explicit about the only legitimate reasons for using their cat was if your stock cat was missing or damaged.

·
Registered
189 Posts
^^^ Yup, I guess if you have a dead cat, or if you have more than 50K miles, you can replace the cat for an aftermarket one (I think). I have one on my car, love it. I guess as long as you don't get any CELs relating to the cat, you should be fine.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
....thats kinda what I figured. I have 51K on my car right now so I'll just go with the R/T cat and hopefully I wont have any problems. Thanks for the help everyone....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts