Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my focus is stuck with the battery unhooked due to the ignition not wanting to turn out of the ON position, i have sprayed WD 40 in the ignition (where you insert the key) but nothing works, weirdly the key will just come out even when in the on position (while its even running) i can go out there and hook the battery back up and the car will turn on fine, but will not come out of the ON position....wtf is the problem?

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
ignition cylinder is locked up.... I don't know if there's a way to permanently fix this other than to replace the cylinder.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whats the best way to go abouy fixing the ignition cylinder. Because at the auto part stores around here want close to 100 bucks for the ignition cylinder, and what about the pats or the pattern of the key fitting into the new ignition. It all confuses me. Just real irritated lol

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Do you have a spare key? If so, buy a new Ford ignition cylinder (there's no way around that), take it to a locksmith, have it cut to your key.
Somehow get the ignition back to the Accessory position so you can remove the lock cylinder. It won't let you remove it in the On position. Pop out the old cylinder. (If you can't get it back to the Acc position, you'll have to drill it out.) Replace lock cylinder with the new one.
You won't have to reprogram your keys or worry about PATS using this method.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont have a spare key. And it will not come out of the on position. Any ideas on how to avoid the drilling method lol

·
Registered
54 Posts
Try hitting the key gently with a hammer and keep jiggling it until it moves to off. If it won't you have to drill it out. Do a search and you will find all kinds of posts on this topic.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well i did that you said john and even when i hook the battery back up and try to start it, it doesnt even turn over, and is still stuck in the on position...god... WHAT DO I DO!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gonna explain a little, it is stuck in the ON position but allows me to turn to start position but there is absolutely no activity now.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Sorry, guy. This is one of those circumstances when "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". Your ignition cylinder is hooped. Sounds like you have no option but to drill out the cylinder.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
I hope you didn't damage the RFID module when you tapped on the key with a hammer. You'd have to really hit it hard to do that, but if you busted it then the PATS symbol- the padlock- will flash when you try to start it.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
On an '03 you should have a flashing light on the dash by the hazard switch. Is your light flashing at all? Once your key is in the run position, the light should go out. Is your key still stuck in the run/on position?
Does the light flash rapidly when you attempt a start?
If the light doesn't flash rapidly on an attempted start, PATS isn't preventing your car starting.
I doubt tapping on the key affected PATS; bet you've drained the battery or there is some other problem.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
I think he said the key was stuck in the ON position, so there wouldn't be a light. I think to remove the lock cylinder you have to turn it to ACC.

I just don't know how he's going to remove it so he can drill it.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Yes, sorry, I was concentrating now more on how he could get the car started rather than getting the lock cylinder removed. Two problems now instead of one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts